Side Mirrors

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Art S.

Side Mirrors

Post by Art S. »

Now that I have gained a sense of what the wipers on my car should be (thanks guys - the info was much appreciated!), I've moved on to the mirror.

I is my understanding that none of the cars left PF with side mirrors. Mine has a ratty old Talbot which is about 4" across. What are other appropriate options for mirrors for the car and is there a good source fresh, correct Talbot Mirrors?

Thanks,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
tyang

Post by tyang »

Don't the Cobra guys use the Talbot mirrors? There should be an assortment that are available and have the "period" look. I've driven a Lusso once without a side mirror, and don't know how I could do it on a regular basis!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Talbots are being made again after several years of absence. I talked to the owners at CI this year. They purchased the rights and are back in production again.

See http://www.cibieusa.com/ for details.

Another original mirror that came on the mid-60s Ferrari is one like:
These are being reproduced in Germany and you'll see them on eBay every month or so.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

You are correct, the early cars did not come with outside mirrors as the dealers who sold the cars usually sold them and the radios as an extra profit items. Look in the Moss Motors catalog, the British cars all used them and these repos are pretty good. There are no concorse deductions if they are or are not installed. As long as they are period style and are not ratty you are OK.
william

Post by william »

What would be correct for a 62' GTE ?

Would you use the talbot Berlin senior or junior.

Thanks again
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

William,

I would get the Tabot Senior, its correct for GTs and the 4" mirror is pretty small already, you will see even less out of the Junior.

I found this site which is selling new ones: http://www.talbotco.com/talbot_mirror.htm

Kerry,

Thanks!

Jimmy,

Considering I have an original on my car, I would prefer to stick with original or correct rather than close, especially at originals appear to be available. Thank you for finding an alternative nontheless.

Regards,

Art S.
william

Post by william »

Thanks Art S,

What would you recommend for the fastners? Any ideas? on the web page they give some options. My car has no side mirrows and I find myself looking for them.

I don't think I'm going to like drilling the holes in my car door!!!!
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

William,

If you don't have any holes, take a look at what John V. did with his PF Coupe. I don't remember the details but he found a good, nondestructive solution. It's posted here somewhere.

If you can't find the post, send him a PM.

Regards,

Art S.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi William,

My holes were drilled so the fasteners could be reached from the back side of the door near the botom of the A pillar. Any where else, and you'll need to remove the door panel to tighten the screws.

Drilling holes is not as bad as it may seems. Just measure twice, and drill once! Also use progressively larger bits, and masking tape on the door to avoid chipping the paint!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

When drilling holes in painted surface apply masking tape over the areas to be drilled to prevent the paint around the hole from chipping. I usually coat the inside of the hole with touch up paint to prevent any rust from starting. And as stated previous use a very small drill to drill a pilot hole. As for what was origional and what was not it is what ever the dealer had at the time he sold it, but being period accurate and looking good the tips given are good.
william

Post by william »

Thanks art, Tom, and Jim.

I think I'm going to buy the talbots. I drove the car last week and wished the car had a side mirror. I did not want to add one if it would cost points in a concours. Not that I'm working towards a concours event I just want to keep the car orginal and still have the safety of a side mirror.

Are guys running mirrors on both sides?

Thanks for the advice
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi William,

I have one mirror, and have found unless you can get a convex mirror for the passenger side, the second mirror is pretty useless. Just my opinion.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

William,

Like Tom, I only have one mirror on the GTE and plan to keep it that way for the exact reason Tom cited. The car has good visibilty so it works ok for me this way.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
william

Post by william »

Thanks Tom, Rudy

It sounds like you guy like the mirror. I really feel like one is needed. I'll add one to my list of Ferrari stuff for Christmas.

Thanks
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I disagree with not having a passenger mirror. I drove my 330 for many years without one. Then after driving my 240Z with one and going back to the 330, I found that I missed it. So I found a matching mirror and added it.

I really missed one having one on the 308. The visibility is not great to start with, so every little bit helps. I did have some problem finding a matching Vitoni mirror. I kept looking at the various years of 308 parts books trying to find the part number, but none of them showed a RH mirror. Finally I got to thinking and looked in the UK model parts book. They had to have a driver's mirror for the RH side! UK Ferrari had the part and it's on the 308 now.

No matter what mirror you select, be sure you like the mounting location before you drill the holes. Have someone hold the mirror in the selected place and get into the drivers seat. Try to adjust it from inside. See how easy it is to use without turning your head. See if the vent window gets in the way and can you see the whole mirror? Better yet, duct tape in on and drive around some.

I've driven a 330 with a Talbot Jr. mounted ahead of the A pillar on the door (like Tom Yang's). I found it to be awkward compared to mine mounted just outside of the vent window.

It's also impossible to mount one high up (mine screw into the channel just below the window) and put nuts or a plate on the back. There's no access due to the door structure. You just have to use stainless steel sheet metal screws through holes drilled in the door panel. My mirrors are tight and don't wiggle at all.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605