Observations on starting my 330 GT

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DBR330GT

Observations on starting my 330 GT

Post by DBR330GT »

Maybe this will help someone else. I have always started my 330 in a pretty standard fashion: no choke, let the electric fuel pump run for about a minute, pump the accelerator 3-5 times and turn the key. It would take 10 -15 seconds of cranking, sometimes I has to try multiple times to get it to start.

I have discovered something that now works much better. Recently when going thru this starting procedure, i was interrupted after running the elec pump so i shut it off. When I returned after a few minutes and turned the key, it started IMMEDIATELY. Now after I run the elec pump, I let it sit for a minute or two and now it starts instantly when I turn the key!

Dan
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9119, 2011 BMW 1M, 2002 BMW M3
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Dan: I am reminded of Tom Stoppard's Shakespeare in Love:

HENSLOWE
Mr. Fennyman, let me explain about the
theatre (FERRARI) business.
(they stop)
The natural condition is one of
insurmountable obstacles on the road
to imminent disaster.

FENNYMAN
So what do we do?

HENSLOWE
Nothing. Strangely enough , it all
turns out well.
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I always open the choke 1/2" or so if the car has been sitting for more than a day, leave it open a couple of minutes after car starts, then close it over another minute.

The owner's manual says to use the choke, so I use it...I don't understand why choke usage is frowned on.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
william

Post by william »

Jsa330,

I use my choke with out problems, But some have problems with the choke disturbing the adjustment.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
330GT

Post by 330GT »

william wrote:... But some have problems with the choke disturbing the adjustment.
There are a couple of issues with the choke mechanism on early Ferraris.

First, the wire is bare from the rear carb to the front. If this wire gets bent when closing the choke, one or more of the carbs will have the choke left on.
Second, the choke wire is attached to each choke lever by going through a hole and having a screw pinch the wire tight in the hole. If the choke on a single carb doesn't open or close smoothly, it is possible for the wire to slide to a new adjustment, leaving that carb out of adjustment compared to the rest. Or the screw can loosen so one carb isn't being choked at all.
Third, there is no warning light that you still have the choke on. This can lead to fouled spark plugs if you forget to take it off after the engine has warmed up.

Now, if everything works fine, there is no problem using the choke. I did so for many years. But what I found was that setting the choke mixture properly really depended on the air and engine temperature. It always seemed to take several tries while I changed the mixture before I hit it right. Now, I just leave it off and pump several times to richen the mixture before starting.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

william wrote:Jsa330,

I use my choke with out problems, But some have problems with the choke disturbing the adjustment.
William, I haven't had any apparent problems with it either. However, I've been getting some backfiring on hard acceleration recently and it's due to go to Norwood Perf for a look. I always have them thoroughly check the choke operation when it goes in...1x or 2x a year.

Kerry, is there any way of replacing the wire with something more rigid and durable?
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
tyang

Post by tyang »

Kerry, is there any way of replacing the wire with something more rigid and durable?
The cable is a simple solid wire in sheathing. The problem lies more with the number of chokes and different pressures needed to operate each choke. It can be adjusted to work correctly, but as things wear, age, and loosen up at different rates, the choke settings will change. I've always been advised by Francois not to use the chokes to avoid upsetting the tune of the carbs during normal operating temps. Do what works for you, but be aware of the potential problems.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053