scuff plate on 330GT carpet

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

peterp

scuff plate on 330GT carpet

Post by peterp »

My carpet has a triangular bald patch next to the scuff plate -- it looks like another scuff plate or something else was originally on the carpet, but I don't know what was there and haven't seen anything like that in other 330GT interior photos. Does anybody know what belongs there?

Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
whturner

Post by whturner »

Looks like wear to me - I have a wear spot just above the scuff plate which is quite similar. My foot overlaps the scuff plate onto the carpet, and I guess the previous owner(s) had a similar foot position "on" the pedal.

Demonstrates originality I guess.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks Warren. It never even occurred to me that it might be wear because of the uniformity of the pattern. It looks like the scuff plate was not originally placed in the ideal position. I'm not sure I will do this, but it seems like moving the existing plate an inch or so rearward would cover the existing spot and prevent additional wear.
Peter P
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Peter,

My foot catches on the top screw and washer, and I'm thinking of removing the screw so it's not so annoying.

Re positioning yours would certainly cover the wear spot, and serve the purpose the plate was meant for. If you have the clearance as my car, however, getting to the nuts that hold this plate in place is not so easy. My transmission bellhousing fits pretty close to this area.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

When I get mine polished up and put it back in, I think that I'll only attach it to the carpet. That way you can remove and clean that carpet piece (it just snaps in except for the scuff plate).
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Peter,

Look at it this way. At least the car was being driven and not sitting around all those years! The damage caused by lack of use would have been far worse than the worn carpet.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
peterp

Post by peterp »

I probably won't get a chance to look at it until this weekend, but I had just had the scuff plate off a couple weeks ago and I think (not absolutely sure) that it was held on sheet metal screws rather than bolts with nuts on the other side. The screws/washers looked original, but I don't know that for sure. I didn't look at what was under the carpet, but if my memory on the screws is correct, it seems like moving it could be as simple as drilling new holes and filling the old (or attaching it to the carpet only per Kerry's approach). It looks like the bottom screw could remain in the same place and then the plate could be swiveled around that point to bring the top of it rearward. I haven't noticed any issues with my foot grabbing on the washers though, so maybe moving it will make that become a problem. The rest of the carpet everywhere is in remarkably good condition, so this was probably another factor that made it not occur to me that this was a wear spot.
Peter P
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Guys:

I don't think the problem is in the position of the plate, it's in the usage of the car. Take a look at where the plate is mounted relative to the accelerator pedal travel. In deciding where to mount the plate, the factory obviously envisioned much more time spent with the driver's foot pressing down a lot further on the loud pedal than you're doing. Simplest solution is just to drive the car harder, dang it!
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
peterp

Post by peterp »

David Booth wrote:Take a look at where the plate is mounted relative to the accelerator pedal travel. In deciding where to mount the plate, the factory obviously envisioned much more time spent with the driver's foot pressing down a lot further on the loud pedal than you're doing. Simplest solution is just to drive the car harder, dang it!
I thought about this as well -- I guess I will have earned my stripes when the metal plate is showing wear
Peter P
PSk

Post by PSk »

David Booth wrote:Guys:

I don't think the problem is in the position of the plate, it's in the usage of the car. Take a look at where the plate is mounted relative to the accelerator pedal travel. In deciding where to mount the plate, the factory obviously envisioned much more time spent with the driver's foot pressing down a lot further on the loud pedal than you're doing. Simplest solution is just to drive the car harder, dang it!
Or is the accelerator pedal sitting higher than Ferrari intended?

Just a thought.
Pete
peterp

Post by peterp »

I think the accelerator height is ok -- the throttle has a very long throw and it goes to the ground. I bit the bullet and moved it, left the bottom screw in place and rotated it around to relocate the other 2 screws. I suspect I might need to remove the back screw as per Tom's comment, it seems like it hits my foot now where I didn't notice before. I will reserve judgment until I drive it a bit.

Peter P