amp meter reading question

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

amp meter reading question

Post by Jumprun »

When I turn the key to the "on" position and with everything off, my amp meter shows a slight discharge, about a needles width of movement. I believe this is normal, but I'm not sure how much discharge is normal. I'm paranoid because I did quite a bit of refurbishment of my fuse panel, relays and many other electrical connections but I'd rather not chase something that is not a problem. I guess this draw I'm seeing is from the coils? What do other see when they turn the key to the "on" position. The car is a 330 GTC.

Tom in SoCal
DWR46

Re: amp meter reading question

Post by DWR46 »

Perfectly normal. You are powering coils, gauges, relays, lots of minor items.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thanks Mr. Ridgely, your experience is appreciated. Thanks also for all the writings you have produced, I always reference them before starting any repair.

Best Regards, Tom in SoCal.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy this site, as there are so few people still doing their own Ferrari mechanical work today.
BobA

Post by BobA »

If you really want to know the amount of current drawn, connect a digital multimeter set to read dc amps between the disconnected negative lead and the battery post then turn the key to the "on" position and take a reading. It will probably only be one or two amps.Most meters will read up to 20 amps for a short time.