Need help on 330GT2+2 #07369

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

abrent

Post by abrent »

I think the prices were interesting as well, and not too much of a shocker to me given that I followed that decline in prices in the 90's till I could afford a car.
The funny part for me was in Yale's post. The current seller claim's "Very correct and original", after two restorations.....

Later.
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

Lets go to the other end of the spectrum for a moment. Can you buy a vintage Ferrari in any kind of complete condition for $20,00.00 running or not runnig. I know that you can't. So then, if you want a car, and have 20,000.00 why not buy it. Of course you will have to do work and pay some money. Isn't that what we do? If you cannot afford to make it run and look good, put in the garage until you can!
Otherwise wait until you have a $100,000.00 to spend and then have fun. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a Ferrari ( My wife would kill me almost ) but I do own every car that I have ever wanted, and some do not run yet.
Mike Theo

Now we're talkin'!

Post by Mike Theo »

Thank You, Sleeper!

That is exactly my argument! I am now finalizing the purchase of 7369, the one-owner 1965 Interim 330GT for $21K, and I am tickled to death at the prospect of getting her in my garage!

This weekend I was like a nesting expectant mother, cleaning out and organizing my garage to make room for it. I have four children with very healthy appetites, so practicality dictates that it may actually be a little while before this car is completely sorted out. That is just fine, because the fact of the matter still remains that I own her and can restore her at whatever pace I choose, while STILL getting a charge out of looking at her every morning that I pull out of my garage and every evening that I pull back in. I actually don't mind that this car sat for years, because if it hadn't, most likely it wouldn't have been as original and I wouldn't have been able to afford it, while keeping my GT/E. Far and away, the most important thing to me was that this car was complete, original and unmolested, which it is.

Obviously there are different "takes" on the issue. I can wait, and even enjoy the anticipation, while I know that the uncertainty of the situation and the wait would drive others absolutely nuts.

***CORNY ALERT***
Over the years, I have come to the realization (crazy maybe) that each car has its own "soul" and story. I have restored a fair number of cars, each one with its own identity and history, but nothing beats bringing a Ferrari back to life and back to the road. It ties you back into the whole Enzo/Columbo/Pininfarina/Modena/Maranello mystique. By restoring one, for a brief place in time you are a part of it. Conversely, this is also what makes the gutting and parting-out one of these cars, 2+2 or otherwise, a shame and a crime.
***END OF CORNY ZONE***

Later,

Mike
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Mike,

Good luck on the 330!

I don't think you're being corny at all! I know I've definitely made my mark on #5053, and it may very well carry this mark longer than I will be around!

Tom
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Mike: Sorry to be late to this discussion, and you may be way beyond this point, but if the engine has not run for some time think carefully what you want to do before you first attempt to start it, what subcomponents you want to examine before hand to insure are in running order, do you want to spin her up wo plugs to insure you have good oil flow etc, do you want to examine the valve train, insure the high pressure fuel lines are whole and capable of withstanding both the vibration and the pressure, is the fuel tank fouled etc, in short I would resist the urge to run it first then make an assessment. Michael Bayer
JonBrent

Post by JonBrent »

Hi Guys,

Just a heads up that there is a parallel thread over at Ferrarichat: http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messa ... 1042672883 with similar opinions to here.

I too went with a project 330 as it was the best Ferrari I could afford which met what I thought I wanted - V12 up front, fun to work on, has some history to me, etc. Perhaps the value will go up, who knows, that was only a small part for me.

I completely agree with Mike on not running it without due concideration - although it is VERY tempting. We have had threads here about what to do before starting, but my car had sat for 20+ years and would have had a total disaster on my hands had I fired it up. The PO had put new oil in a completely blocked system, so the dipstick and what drained out looked fine.

Any word from a PPI?

Cheers,
Jon
Mike Theo

Great Input!

Post by Mike Theo »

Thanks for the tips. I will be receiving the car in the next couple of weeks. Actually the story is that Motorcar Gallery had the car for sale back in October for $19,000, but no one would touch it because they were not willing to roll the dice on a car that had been still for 15+ years. In December they decided to put an Argentine Ferrari mechanic on it to carefully see if the engine would work. He popped the rocker covers, drained the old oil, checked passages from the top, put in new oil with some cleaning agents, pulled the spark plugs, checked compression (fine!), put on a new battery, and then periodically cranked the engine several minutes each day for a week, while also draining and re-filling the crankcase with oil/cleaning agent. He cleaned the fuel system from the carbs to the tank (tank will most likely need to be re-done, since it wasn't re-sealed), and replaced the fuel filter. He did not re-build the carbs. He then fired up the engine for a few minutes each day for another week. After this exercise, he certified the oil pressure was great, there were no "ugly" noises, but it ran like crap because of the gummed-up carbs.

Since the mechanic was on this car off and on for two weeks, they bumped the price up to cover expenses, and because now it could be showed that the car ran.

Am I sure that the car only needs the carbs rebuilt? Not a chance. But, I am comfortable with what I know (and I guess with what I don't know). So far the story checks out and feels right. I have been at this "car thing" for quite a while, and so far I have yet to be taken advantage of. Call me an old romantic, or you can just call me an idiot, but there is a certain amount of trust involved here. I realize that none of this addresses brakes, clutch, cooling system, etc., but in these cases I am comfortable assuming the worse. Either I'll be accurate or pleasantly surprised.

I sincerely appreciate the help, suggestions and counsel, so please keep them coming. I plan on going very slow with each step of this restoration. I am psyched and ready to go.

Interesting tidbit from the Ferrarichat site: did you guys know that John Lennon had a Series I 330GT 2+2? Very cool!

Later,

Mike
Yale

Post by Yale »

Lennon's car is pictured on Kerry's site as it was for sale for a number of years. They wanted 250,000 British Pounds!!! It has a Webasto sunroof by the way which is a nice feature, though I hear they leak, and are noisey. Some on on this list was looking at a car that had a metal "Porche type" sunroof. Never saw a picture of that one.

By the way the next owner after Lennon was Dodi Fayeed, who died in the Mercedes with Princess Di. That's it from Page 6. Best Yale
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

Mike,
When you get the carbs off send them to Pierce Manifold in Gilroy Cal.
That's the place to go. After an inexpensive rebuild, your car is going to run OK as long as the rest of the engine is intact. If not well have fun. It may take a while but for me that is great fun. If you are not up to it , send the car and some money to me and I will deal with it in my own sweet time. Looking forward to seeing the car soon, otherwise I will have to buy one of my own!