330GT 2+2 Pininfarina Shield and Crown: 1 piece or 2?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

JonBrent

330GT 2+2 Pininfarina Shield and Crown: 1 piece or 2?

Post by JonBrent »

Hi Guys,

This should be a simple question - do the 330GT 2+2s have a one piece Pininfarina shield with attached crown, or is the crown separate?

Mine were not replaced after some bodywork eons ago, so would like to get the proper ones. I'm 90% sure they should be one piece, but want to be sure, and see if there is any observed normal variation from the factory. Also, if there are any differences between the first and second series ( and interims), that would be nice to know too.

Cheers,
Jon
tim

Post by tim »

My 64 (5769) has a 2 piece emblem with a Pininfarina script just below. Hope that helps... Tim
JonBrent

Post by JonBrent »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I have two nice replacement Pininfarina Scripts, and now need the PF shield and crown which go above them. It sounds like this item is one piece on your series 1 car.

Fwiw, we met at the Concorso in 2001, although I was probably one of hundreds asking about your car! I used your car as the best example of a Giallo 330, I hope you don't mind!

http://www.JB330GT.com/Colors.htm

Thanks again,
Jon
tim

Post by tim »

OOOPPPSSSSS Meant to say the crown and shield are separate pieces and the pininfarina script is just below so there are three pieces. If you need any further help, such as measurements (how far up, how far back etc) let me know. Its always nice to meet other Ferrari people and it seems the older cars are much more friendly. I get lots of questions because my rattley old car is unrestored and I've had it so long- about 25-26 years. Tim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tim and Jon,

A couple of years ago I saw Tim's car parked at Laguna Seca, and I missed Jon by a half an hour at Concorso, but I hope we get a chance to meet this year durinng Monterey Weekend! I'm making plans to come out.

Tom
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Jon: On my Series I,I #9727 the crown and shields are one piece, scripts separate, for a total of two pieces per side Michael Bayer
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Ops! the coma is in the wrong place, my car is a Series II MB
JonBrent

Post by JonBrent »

Oh no - both types were used! Fwiw, the two slightly earlier interims I have OK pictures for (7455 and 7369) look to have the one piece shield/crown. In the rest of my picture archive (books too), the pictures are somewhat ambiguous.

Actually, I have the clues where the things should go, as there are these super bondo tails through the original mounting holes:

http://www.jb330gt.com/beginning/sidebadgeinsidebig.jpg

This picture is of the inside of the drivers side, with the other side the same minus the pull marks.

Tom, it will be great finally meet you this year - I'm sure we'll work out a gathering as the time gets closer.

Thanks Mike & Jim. Anyone else with some datapoints?

Cheers,
Jon
Mike Theo

PF Emblems

Post by Mike Theo »

Jon, Michael,

Since I am the proud new owner of 7369, I took a close up shot of the PF emblems. On my Interim car it is definitely a two piece affair. Not sure how to attach the image to this post, but I could sure email it to you. Just let me know your email address.

As a side note, during my hunt, Yale mentioned that photos of the Series I 330GTs never seem to do them justice, and that they look so much better and more impressive in person. Well, I just received 7369 today, and I could not agree more. In person, it is absolutely amazing!

Which leads to the logical question, why is that so? Why do photos tend to make the Series I look somewhat fat, bloated and disproportionate, especially when you look at it from the direct front or direct rear, when in person it looks low, fast, together and aggressive?

Later,

Mike
330GT

Post by 330GT »

In looking at the 330 GT Pininfarina body parts manual, both types were used. Usually the book shows the body number where the change took place, but not in this instance since there is no part number for the one piece emblem. Further, both drawings are of 4HL cars. That might imply that the change over came during the 4HL production, perhaps with the interim (5 speed) version changes. But it might also be that they just used the wrong background. The only other change between the two pages is that the earlier drawing has a chrome or stainless steel strip covering the body above the door. This is in addition to the strip which contains the rain gutter.

For those with the body parts manual, foglio 37-38 are the pages to look at.

I also looked at old parts catalogs (FAF and LTE). One LTE catalog specified a 2 piece PF emblem for the 330 GT while the 330 GTC/S used a 1 piece. I know that my car (8755) and Lowell Brown's (8855) have 1 piece emblems. So I suspect that somewhere in the later production, the change was made to the 1 piece model. But exactly when this happened is unknown to me.

Regards, Kerry