ANSA EXHAUST PROBLEMS

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

SLM

ANSA EXHAUST PROBLEMS

Post by SLM »

I recently purchased an newly remade ansa system for the 250gte. My problem is that it is 5 1/2 - 6 inches to long. I compared it to the current NOS ansa system on the car and the tail section is the problem. after much thought I think the only way to do this to take about 2 1/2 inches out where the rear pipes enter the muffler. The problem is once I cut this area it seems that the pipes going into the muffler were shruck somewhat before placing them inside 1/2 inch into the muffler and welding. My question is how is this shrinking accomplished ?

In addition ,I would have to remove about 3 inches from the back of the middle system which is no problem.

Surely, some of you must have experienced this situation and watch out if you buy a newly remade ansa system .Any thoughts would be appreciated. What happened to bolting on exhaust out of the box and your done !!
Steve
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

"Re-made," meaning using old ansa cans, and welding new pipes?

If it it is that far off, I'd have the person who made it fix the problem!

If sending it back is out of the question, you can shrink the end of the tube at a well equipped muffler shop. They'll have a machine that squeezes the pipe down in size enough to fit inside its own I.D.. I guess you'll have to re-weld the hangers as well?

Ah, the joys of exhausts! I remember them well!

Tom
SLM

Post by SLM »

Tom,
FYI -these systems were ordered from Italy by Tillack and many other Ferrari parts resellers. They were made in Italy and have the ansa name and stickers on the system. Also, the name Arvin appears on part # decal. Arvin may have bought the rights to ansa. The system has the correct NOS part numbers on it ( FE 0427 and FE 0437) for the tail section but as mentioned these are not the correct length and much longer than the NOS ansa.
The Center mufflers(FE0435 and FE 0425) are the same dimension as the NOS ansa pipes.

Steve
lukek

re: ansa

Post by lukek »

I bought an ansa system from GT Motors in Arizona.
It fit perfectly on my GTE (4823). My mechanic (Johannes at Dino Motors) is either this good, or I got lucky with my car (it has never been is a serious crash).
No fit issues, then...and I replaced middle and rear at once for under $2K.

thx
luke
Pete

All exhaust require fitting IMO ...

Post by Pete »

... even brand new systems, for new models, it is part of the process.

Thus to expect a system to bolt straight on and hang perfectly is a little optimistic IMO.

To do the best job ... you always need a welder and possibly hacksaw ready :).

Good luck
Pete