Who does great paintwork in the South?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Ferdinand

Who does great paintwork in the South?

Post by Ferdinand »

This question is for a new Ferrari, but I thought that some of you guys might be able to help me out. I have acid rain spots on my clearcoat, and I need a trustworthy paintwork man to polish them down for me. Is there anybody that you guys would recommend?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Are you sure it's bad enough to need a body guy? You may only need a good detailer to do the job. I would use the least agressive method to remove the spots: A glaze first, then maybe a polishing compound with some more grit.

Good luck!

Tom
Ferdinand

Post by Ferdinand »

I think that an experienced detailer might be able to fix it, but I am not sure. The paint looks like a nightmare when viewed with a fluorescent light. The fact that it is black does not help. I claybarred, and I tried vinegar. I have put on one layer of Klasse AIO, followed by five layers of Klasse SG. That made the spots even more apparent. Then I applied three layers of Souverän, and they did not lessen the appearance of the spots. I now know that I can not cover them up, or remove them with chemicals, or clay.

I do not really want to polish down the clearcoat myself, but I might try it if I can not find somebody. Is it possible to do damage with a Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer? I was thinking about getting one, and then practicing a little on other cars. I would much rather have an experienced professional do it, though.

Somebody told me that I could just get a new paintjob, but I would rather live with the spots than do that.

Thanks.
tyang

Post by tyang »

I'm not familier with the products you described, but then again, I'm kind of "old school" and use what has worked! Are these products waxes, or polishes? Waxing these spots will not make them go away. I haven't heard many good things about clay bars.

Get some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.
http://www.carcarespecialties.com
and try that first by HAND. Buy some soft cotton cloths to do the application and buffing. Terry cloth (towels) may not be soft enough. towels that feel like 100% cotton t-shirts is what you should be looking for. Concentrate on a small area, and see if there are any good results. This will at least answer how aggressive you need to work on the rest of the paint.

The paint would have to be pretty ruined to warrent a new paint job!

Tom
judge4re

Post by judge4re »

If you are in the Atlanta area, Bo Pirckle does excellent work. He's the one that paint work from Ferrari of Atlanta is farmed out to.

Erik
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

I've use Bo also and he does excellent work. He was also able to wet sand the roof of my Boxer that had some brake fluid spots left over when it was the lower car being transported for Boston. It's perfect.
Ferdinand

Post by Ferdinand »

Thanks guys. I will make a note of Bo Pirckle. If the Imperial Hand Glaze does not work, I will probably need to go to him.

tyang, the things that I mentioned are waxes. Klasse AIO is a polymer cleaner wax, and Klasse SG is a polymer wax. Pinnacle Souverän is a carnauba wax. I was hoping that I could use wax to fill in the spots, or make them less noticable.

DrewA, weren't you scared to have your paint wetsanded? Did he measure the thickness of your paint afterwards? I would be afraid of going through the clearcoat, or making it too thin.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Actually, my Boxer has lacquer paint. When it was delivered from Boston we didn't notice that the car above it dripped a little bit of break fluid. Anyhow, a number of us here in the Southeast have used Bo and have a lot of trust in his work. I would give him a call at 770/939-6982 and see what he thinks. He's a good guy.