Changing tires on Borrani wires

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Michael Bayer

Changing tires on Borrani wires

Post by Michael Bayer »

I need to change the tire on my spare. Given how the softness of the outer rim on a Borrani, I fear to have it done on the typical tire shop pneumatic machine as the clamps that hold the rim have many rather vicious points that will likely badly mar the back side of the rim. Some of you must have faced this, any advice? Michael Bayer
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Michael,

You want to use modern tire machine that does not mount the tire with a center hub. The good machines use four tabs that clamp onto the back of the rim, and an arm that swings to the outside of the rim to force the tire onto, or off, the rim. Some shops put tape on the clamping tabs to insure there are no scratches on the rim.

Don't forget to use talcum powder on the tubes before putting it all back together!

Tom
JimB

Post by JimB »

Modern tire machines should have plastic covers for the clamping devices.
If they don't go else where.

Jim B
JonBrent

Post by JonBrent »

Hi Guys,

Rather than use talcum powder, I recommend aviation Tire Talc, which is much much slicker:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/l ... retalc.php

$6 for a lifetime supply. I looked the container I have, but it doesn't say what its made of, unfortunately.

The theory behind talc, as I understand it, is to minimize twisting and pinching of the tube during mounting, and apparently to stop the tube from vulcanizing to the tire when things get really hot (is this really still an issue?). It may also save a good tube from ripping on disassembly too, if it was stuck.

Cheers,
Jon
JimB

Post by JimB »

Something else to consider. Spend the extra money and buy tubes that have threaded valve stems all the way down. You can secure them to the wheel with the retainer cups. This will prevent the the tube from shifting around. The cups are available from Parker Hall. The tubes I got were from classic tires in England, pricey at $60.00 each, but I think worth the extra expense. Coker tire may also have them.

JimB.