Side Mirrors

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Thanks Kerry,

This looks tempting! If I don't get to it before the weekend, maybe we can do some exploratory surgery at the party.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Photos as promissed. These may appear crude to some, but they work perfectly.

PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Art,

Can you spot the soar thumb on this Lusso?

john

PF Coupe
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Yikes......hate to say it, but that does not work at all. I'll never look at a Lusso the same now. Mirror, mirror on the wall.....stay there and don't get near that car!

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Funny Rudy
PF Coupe
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

No guts, no glory I have driven my 330 for 3 years wo mirrors, and not even a close call, the big windows have their advantages, you adjust sooner than you think, my GTC/4 has a period correct mirror, a fraction of the visibility of a modern pair, frankly I don't trust it and rely on my craining neck! M
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Michael,

Unfortunately, I've broken my neck so my 'craining' range is a bit reduced (one of the less significant effects of a broken neck). Therefore I need a mirror.

John, my Talbot is near the front of the door on the paint. I view it through the vent window. Its in a relatively unobrtusive location, in my opinion, not nearly as bad as the lusso you showed. If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would show you. That said, I intend to put a mirror back in that spot as it looks better than the holes would.

Regards,

Art S.
PETER GABRIEL

Post by PETER GABRIEL »

John:

Absolutely gorgeous color. What is it exactly, burgandy, plum? There was a Lusso featured in a European article a while back in a simliar color. Ferraris don''t have to be red to look great. I think the color is worth an extra 50K.

Peter Gabriel
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I can appreciate your sense of adventure, Michael. Good for you.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Peter,

I understand this car was restored by Lynx Motors who specializes in vintage Jaguars. It might belong to the owner and it took a prize in Bagatele.

http://www.lynxmotors.co.uk/flic.htm

john
PF Coupe
peterp

Post by peterp »

I am close to taking delivery of a 66 330 GT (8169) with no side mirrors. As much as I like the current look and originality, I don't think it will be practical as I plan to drive it fairly often. I don't prefer the Talbot or fender-mount mirrors. I've seen the comments about finding German mirrrors on eBay, but I wonder if there is a specific mirror that can be recommended -- I am more concerned about getting the "correct" mirror than price (within reason). Also, I am considering mounting them on both driver and passenger sides (again for practicality when driving) -- I would like to get feedback on whether fitting both mirrors is a good idea (and, if so, this would require locating a matched set).

Thanks and regards,
Peter
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Peter,

Look at John V.'s set-up on his PF coupe. He's rigged it so that the mirrors work great but are removable (no holes!).

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Considering the long build-up waiting for your car, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

PPS. Make sure you take a three day weekend when you pick the car up in VT, there are a lot of wondeful roads up there with not too much traffic.

PPPS. It looks like TomYang east is on the weekend of Oct 21, I hope you can attend.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Here is a picture of an original non-Talbot mirror that I put on the passenger side. These mirrors can be mounted on either side, so you just have to buy two.

I haven't seen one of these on eBay recently, but they are available.

I realize that you are a long ways from where your car is being worked on, but you should be the one who is sitting in the car with the seat adjusted how you like it in order to position each mirror where they will be of the most use to you. Since it's only two holes and screws per mirror, they could be mounted when you pick up the car.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks for the feedback.

Art,

I'm certain the car will be worth the wait. I would like to join the Oct 21st Tom Yang East event. I will probably go for permanent mount mirrors for practicality's sake -- I don't think they look bad if the appropriate mirrors are fitted, I'm just not that fond of the concept of drilling virgin metal. It was only recently that I realized that these cars have no mirrors when I was looking at photos of my car in the shop.

Kerry,

That mirror looks great -- I will keep my eyes on eBay. I didn't realize they were reversable. I think you're right about fitting the mirror when I'm sitting in it. I'm fairly handy mechanically (or at least used to be), but I'm not feeling comfortable about drilling into metal, so I'm still a bit on the fence whether to have the shop install them.

I saw this 70's alfa mirror on eBay -- it looks nice, but I don't know if it's "correct" for a 330 GT (also, they only have 1 mirror):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

Regards,
Peter
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Hi Peter,
That mirror on eBay isn't quite right. The one I used has no stamping on the back and the top of the base has a pebbled surface. It matched the mirror that was on the driver's side when I bought the car in '82. I've also seen the same mirror on several other Ferraris of the mid/late 60s and early 70s, so I'm pretty sure that this mirror was used originally by Ferrari.

Patience is needed when searching for parts. It took 20 years for me to find a couple of things.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605