Andrew Brent - Telegram for You!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Andrew Brent - Telegram for You!

Post by Tom Wilson »

ferraristuff.com is currently selling a 1962 telegram from Chinetti Motors to Otto Zipper Motor Cars regarding 250 GTE's SN 3835 & 3637. I believe 3835 belongs to Andrew. Not much information, but a cool piece of history!

http://www.ferraristuff.com/en-us/p_551.html
tyang

Post by tyang »

Wow! $400 Bucks!!! Makes the $162.50 I spent on my paperwork seem cheap!
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari.html?ferrari54.htm
Tom
SLM

Post by SLM »

Tom,
While we are on the subject. How does one find any paperwork relating to ones car ?
El Wayne

Post by El Wayne »

Tom, I just read that link regarding how you found the original bill of sale. that's really incredible! I can't beleive they would even think of putting something like that on eBay? What were the odds that you or someone who knows the s/n of your car would actually see it? I'm really amazed. Time to start checkig eBay for more goodies like that.. Gotta go!
tyang

Post by tyang »

SLM:

There's no real method than to look EVERYWHERE! If you know where your car was originally sold, then I'd start there. There were very few Ferrari dealers in the 60s, and most of them were sold through Chinetti Motors. Unfortunately, most of the paperwork was lost or pilfered when the Chinetti closed shop in the 70s. My paperwork turned up in a folder Jacques Vauchier had from when he worked for Chinetti as a salesman. Algar Ferrari in Philly is another sad story. I called them looking for information on my car since they brokered the sale after Chinetti. The sales associate said that a ton of paperwork was thrown out after Al Garthwaite died in the 80s.

Another direction is to ask all the previous owners of your car. They tend to keep momentos of the car when they sell it, and some of it may be valuable paperwork.

Wayne:

I was pretty shocked at getting the actual paperwork to my car as well. The chances are pretty slim. Perhaps Buying this car, and finding the paperwork was all meant to be. Fate played a big role in this car!

I'm constantly asking people to submit thei cars to the owner's gallery, and this is a prime example of why it's a good thing. If Andrew kept his SN to himself, how would anyone know it was his paperwork that was available? My website helped me not only find my paperwork, but also a 330 America Badge!
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari.html?ferrari182.htm
Learn how to use it to your advantage as well!

Tom
Bernard Fahimian

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

Does anybody know what happend to Bill Harrah`s Modern Classic Motors? My car Serial # 12451 was bought from this dealership and i would love to find some of the original documents on my car. I know the museum was sold but where are all the records from the the dealership? Bernard
abrent

Paperwork for Car.

Post by abrent »

Hi All,

Thanks for posting info about my GTE, 3835. I was contaced by Kare a few weeks ago and we went over the meaning of the documentation, and speculation on why it was generated. It is probably a telex to the dealer that the car they ordered has arrived.

The cost is high, particulary in Aussiepeso's, where the $400US is more like $700Aus, which put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm to purchase. With the car at the restoration house, I think that money is better spent on say a new dashpad etc, etc. I already have a letter from FNA stating that the car was sold via chinetti and the date's - and it was free. So, I'm going to pass.

Thanks again also to Tom, posting the car in the owners gallery has entertained many of my friends, put me in contact with a previous owner, and generated notes to me about this paperwork which I would surely have missed.

Regards,

Andrew.
Sloper

Post by Sloper »

thats, indeed, the best you could do to prevent yourselve from those who want to make money of those really unimportant paperwork - CONGRATULATIONS!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I think the seller has himself an interesting problem. Though this telegram is neat to look at, it is only worth something to two people, the owners of 3835 and 3637. If Andrew does not want it, and the owner of 3637 doesn't want it, what is it worth?

I also thought it was interesting that the telegram spoke of two cars which appear to be new (which would be logical in 1962), but the the SN's were almost 200 numbers or 100 road cars apart. What would that be, about 4 months?