365 GT 2+2 manual

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jcwconsult

365 GT 2+2 manual

Post by jcwconsult »

Does anyone know if a factory service manual exists for the 365 GT 2+2, or an engine only manual for the Type 245 engine?
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Jim, I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "service manual", but there are both a Parts Book and an "Operating, maintenance and service handbook" on EBay right now. I've never seen a service manual for the 365 GT 2+2 like typical garage mechanics use for repairing cars. The "Operating, maintenance and service handbook" is available for free download on the Ferrari Owner's Site. I've found the 365 GT 2+2 Ferrari Spare Parts Catalog (mostly engine and drivetrain) useful as well as the Pininfarina Spare Parts Catalog (almost all of the body parts). For doing my own engine mechanical work, I recommend the 330 GT 2+2 Coupe Pininfarina Service Manual with Latest Revisions (be careful of the differences between a 330 and a 365, otherwise it is mostly valid). It used to be available as a reprint from faf of Tucker, Georgia (Now T Rutlands, I think). Also I recommend trying to find a copy of "Ferrari Tuning Tips and Maintenance Techniques" by John Arpin and Gerald Roush, also once published and sold by faf. Both are occasionally available on EBay. Also try to find a copy of Ferrari Guide To Performance by Allen S. Bishop. It's great for engine assembly and tuning details. Be aware that timing chain tensioning, for example, is the same for a two cam engine as for a four cam engine. Lastly, if you are really courageous (or foolhardy), contact me and I'll scan you a copy of some no-longer-available-anywhere Weber 40 DFI papers (tuning instructions, specs, exploded views, parts list) given to me 20 years ago by some Weber people I used to work with in the auto industry. They were originally published by Weber.
I hope this information addresses some of what you are looking for.
Good Luck
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
330GT

Post by 330GT »

TOMKIZER wrote:... Also I recommend trying to find a copy of "Ferrari Tuning Tips and Maintenance Techniques" by John Arpin and Gerald Roush, also once published and sold by faf. ...Tom Kizer
This FAF book is now being reprinted by Veloce Press:
http://www.velocepress.com/books/italian.php
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

Thanks Tom and Kerry. I have the reprinted Apen/Roush book, the owner's manual, and both the early and late parts manuals for the car -- plus the Simpson book, the Pininfarina body parts book and the Wallace translation of the 330 repair manual.

What I want to find, and have struck out so far, is a FACTORY reference to head torque for the Type 245 engine in the 365 GT 2+2 ... other than the owner's manual. I have conflicting data from several sources. The owner's manual says 58 pounds for retorque. Apen/Roush says 59-60 for two cam 365's (like the 2+2) and 72 pounds for four cam 365's like Daytonas. My mechanic says the torque spec depends primarily on the size of the stud hardware, 11 mm head nuts for the 365, and he believes that 72 is correct. Bill Badurski (FCA Tech Chief) also believes 72 is correct for my car as well as for Daytonas, because of the hardware size. Note that both early and late 365 GT 2+2's have the 11 mm head nuts, there was not a running change in the stud size. Another expert mechanic with a professional shop who posts on this forum says he uses 64-65 on large all-aluminum engines, regardless of the specs. Tom S's instinct is that the owner's manual is correct at 58. Most earlier engines, 330 on back, torque from 54 to 62, depending on engine type -- but most of those have smaller 10 mm head nuts. Ebay often has a disc copy of the later manual for 365 GT4 2+2 models, but that is a four cam version. I would really be happier to find some factory-source written spec for head torque for the two cam 365, engine Type 245. I cannot find one, and perhaps there is nothing else I could reference that comes from Ferrari.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451