Leather care (spray-on dyed)

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks Matt. What I found interesting in reading about their conditioner is that they claim it quickly becomes fully absorbed so that there is nothing to wipe off. This seems pretty amazing if the claim is true because this absorption doesn't happen with any other leather conditioner I've seen (Leatherique, for example, doesn't get fully absorbed even when baked in the sun).

The 250ml Liquid Leather bottles from the UK look quite different from the 8oz (235ml) US ones in the Amazon link and are also about twice as expensive as the ones available in the US. I'm guessing that the UK version is different (this is a complete guess, but price US/UK price difference seems to be consistent across several sources), so I'm ordering from the UK link you posted rather than the Amazon link. Thanks very for the tip -- I look forward to trying it.

Regards,
Peter
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Good luck with it, Peter. I really like it, and hope you'll like it as much as I do. And the leather will really absorb it. It's quite good stuff.
1967 330 GT 2+2 #9453
peterp

Post by peterp »

I tried the Liquid Leather on half the seat to compare and the leather is noticably softer -- and the other side had been previously treated with both Leatherique and Lexol, so I think this is good stuff. This was done on a Mondial -- 330 seats to be done when it comes back from the shop.

Shipping was very fast from the UK (about 3 days), but it becomes fairly pricy if you want to do a few cars because it's a small bottle and they charge shipping per bottle. I also ordered it from the amazon, which is much more cost effective, but I think my hunch that the US and UK version were different is true because the instructions differ (the UK version doesn't require wiping after applying the conditioner and the UK does). The actual product inside the bottle looks very similar though. I wrote to Gliptone to see if there is a difference -- will report back when I hear from them.

Photo of both versions is below, US on left and UK on right (I feel like I took an IQ test going through my first image posting -- thanks for the instructions thread):

Peter P
peterp

Post by peterp »

peterp wrote:I wrote to Gliptone to see if there is a difference -- will report back when I hear from them.
The reply from Gliptone indicates they are the same even though the packaging and instructions are different:

Gliptone email response: Almost Identical. You would not notice any difference. As I mentioned in my
email, we ship the concentrate over in bulk. In the final processing of the
product, you may detect the slightest difference in viscosity. The labeling
is different to better suit the UK market.

Purchasing it in the US is about half price of UK -- and even more if you order multiple bottles because the UK supplier charges shipping per bottle. There are many suppliers in the US if you search gliptone leather -- the Amazon one posted previously was the one I used and they shipped very fast.

Regards,
Peter
Peter P
Dr. Ian Levy

Leather care (spray-on dyed)

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello all
I have used Gliptone for many years with good results. As it is manufactured close to where I live so I can usually pop in & pick some up.
In the UK we seem tp pay £'s for what you pay $'s
Regards
Ian L
Manchester
UK
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
Harmony

Post by Harmony »

Connoly hide food is great if you can get your hands on it. Otherwise I suggest lexol or zymol.