Taking apart the console

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

GTH1

Taking apart the console

Post by GTH1 »

I am started to take apart the console that contains the radio and all of the switches to hook up my new cables for the heat & ventilation system. A couple things I need help with, how do you get this piece out? I unscrewed the four screws but the shifter is in the way and I can't slide the unit out and to the side. Does the shift lever need to be removed? How do you get that out?

Once this is out how long are the cables to the heater box and heater valve? Is there enough slack so you can move the dash trim piece to the side or are the heater cables meant to be disconnected before this trim piece is removed? My car has no cables installed now so I have nothing to go by. Any advice is welcome.

Also any help with the routing of this cable under the hood to the heater valve would be great. My car is a 1962 250 GTE series II.

Gary
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Gary,

After the bolts are removed, and the gearshift is in 2nd, try pivoting the console to the right side (passenger side), as you slide it out towards the shifter. The sides of the console my have to pulled out a bit to clear the defroster box as the box pivots. The wires and the heater controls should be long enough for the center console to lay on its side in the passenger footwell, but I think the shortest wire was the defroster blower motor that easily un-plugs.

The long cable runs through the firewall on the left side of the car, and along the top of the inner fender. The cable is held in place by small clips that I beleive are nickel plated and secured by a small slotted, pan-head screw. Before the FISPA fuel regulator, the cable makes a right turn across to the engine to the heater control valve. I used piano wire, and bicycle control cable for my car. It's cheap, teflon coated for smooth action, and permanently lubricated.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Tom