Preparing for Scarsdale

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Preparing for Scarsdale

Post by Tom Wilson »

Tom - Don't worry about the platers. You have lots authorities on this site that will testify that the T. Yang version of the 330 America does not have a grill. If a judge questions you, we can provide four + years of backup attesting to that fact!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

I can't wait to get rid of that toothless smile my car has! Let's just hope it gets here in time! The clock is ticking.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
67GTC

Ugh! Cleaning Wire Wheels...

Post by 67GTC »

Hi Tom,

I can truly sympathize about cleaning wire wheels. I'm showing the GTC at the Los Angeles Concours on Sunday and cleaning the wheels is the worst part of the preparation. My car has what appears to be years of accumulated road tar, brake dust and other muck. I've tried a number of approaches, including the towel strip "flossing" . What I have found to be effective is a power steamer that lets me get between the spokes where fingers and cloths can't reach. I've done some reading and have found that the general consensus is to keep them clean enough to not have to go through this grueling exercise. I've got at least four more shows this year and may invest in a high psi power washer to ease the burden.

Good luck in Scarsdale!

Chuck
1967 330 GTC
S/N: 10539
peterp

Post by peterp »

P21S makes a metal polishing "soap" that might make it easier to polish wire wheels. The polish is a cake of soap and it comes with sponge that has a very light scrubbing surface. It's applied simply by rubbing the sponge over the surface and then rinses off with no buffing required. For areas you can't reach with the sponge, applying it with a brush would probably work. I haven't tried it on wire wheels (because I don't have them), but I have used it on exhaust tips and had good results. I think a straight polish like Wenol blue gives slightly better finish, but nothing comes close to being as easy to use as the soap.

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/p2poso.html
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
67GTC

Thanks for the Wheel Cleaning Tip

Post by 67GTC »

Peter,

This is the second time someone has mentioned PS21 for wheels. It's supposed to be very mild yet effective. The big problem with Borranis is that the spokes are chrome plated, but the rims are aluminum (and fairly soft) so that a polish suited for the spokes can be too harsh for the rims and cause scratching.

I'll look for a source for the PS21 soap.

Thaks for the tip!

Chuck
1967 330 GTC
S/N: 10539
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Chuck,

I have found that power washing the grime works fine, but there is no easy way to get the shine from the aluminum except for getting a polishing cloth on the surface. The guy who polishes Francois' customer's cars says his fingers ache for days after doing a set. Hopefully, mine will survive this next week!

Good luck with your show!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Deane

Post by Deane »

It's also hard to get the darkened compound out from under your fingernails once finished! A set of alloy "driving wheels" makes practical sense, but I can't do it, for me the wire wheels are a key part of the car's appeal.

I got through mine in only 8 hours, with my wife's help, for my first big show. That isn't likely to happen again.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
tyang

Post by tyang »

It's also hard to get the darkened compound out from under your fingernails once finished! A set of alloy "driving wheels" makes practical sense, but I can't do it, for me the wire wheels are a key part of the car's appeal.

I got through mine in only 8 hours, with my wife's help, for my first big show. That isn't likely to happen again.
Gloves are a must. I learned my lesson polishing the grille. Aluminum oxide and polishing compound is near impossible to completely remove from under fingernails. One tip though is to cut the bristles down on a toothbrush so the brush is stiffer for some good hard scrubbing!

It's been taking three hours a wheel for me. That includes scrubbing the sidewalls of the tire to get all the dirt out from all the crevices!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Sorry to say, but the nearest thing that comes to mind are cow shows - I saw a documentary that included this - they wiped the cow's back end to make sure it shined... :D

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Art - You watch documentaries on cow shows?????
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

Wow, one more reason to be glad I have a Ferrari instead of a cow!
Deane
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Tom,

I don't watch under normal circumstances but I must admit, at some point in my life, I did see something on cow shows (I think it was about country life and county fairs and such) - the only thing I found memorable enough to remember was a cow's owner wiping up after a cow pie was made...

Deane,

I'm sure we don't know the joys we are missing! That said, wiping a cows back end and cleaning between spokes seems to be about equal in the fun category. However, thus far in my life, I only have experience cleaning between spokes.

Regards,

Art S.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Actually, my grandparents kept cows, and had nothing but positive things to say about them.
Deane
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Every day each cow produces between 200 to 400 quarts of methane gas.
Now that's what I call, "going green!"

Rudy vsn Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

No Rudy, that's global warming ;)

Regards,

Art S.