rocker arm valve adjusting screws

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

hestech

rocker arm valve adjusting screws

Post by hestech »

Has anyone discovered an alternative to the Ferrari part # 17880 rocker arm valve adjusting screws used on the 365 2 cam engine? Something more reasonably priced than the $12 Ferrari part?

Thanks, Ron
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

Ron,

Yes, the price is an issue, but the most important point is to buy these valve adjusting screws from a supplier with a good reputation, who knows the manufacturing source of the screws and that they have been tested in practice. Over the years, there have been some bad batches of these screws with inadequate hardening of the tip, resulting in rapidly chewed up valve stem tips. Better to pay a little more for top quality adjusting screws than the alternative cost of the valves and the valve job.......and another set of screws!

Chris
fest

low cost = high risk

Post by fest »

I concur...

there are times when a more reasonbly priced
replacement part is acceptable
(like FRAM filters, for example)

and times to pony up for the right part
for those with critical function
(like valve train parts)
where failure can be di$a$terou$

if you still want to proceed
with this risky proposition
I have always had very good luck with
McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com
cak

Post by cak »

I assume you're looking at the ball-end adjusters, where it seems that you need to replace 8 or 12 of the 24 at every adjustment? Doesn't that seem ... stupid? :-)

Anyway, I've been happy with the ones I buy from GT Car Parts in Phoenix. There used to be a version on the market with a swivel end, where the part that contacts the end of the valve stem didn't move, but had an internal swivel - but all the mechanics I know that installed these ended up taking them out, because quality control was lacking and the moving part would end up cracking and sometimes falling off.

There just doesn't seem to be a good substitute for the original design part. More's the pity.

chris