Radiators

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

One last question guys: while I have her apart I am going to replace the thermostat, am thinking of putting in a 170F or 180F in, any suggestions on alternative manufacturers crosslisting numbers for a 330GT thermostat?
fest

thermostat

Post by fest »

the FCA Forum has an ongoing discussion on this very subject:

http://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/Fus ... readid=153
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Fest: Thanks, I am on it! I have asked them for a 160F STANT or other make part numbe.! Michael Bayer 330GT #9727
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Stant 355S-160 (160°F)

Extrapolating suggests that the 180° one would be 355S-180.
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Many thanks!
cak

Post by cak »

I have a receipt for a "STM-S330-180" thermostat from about a decade ago. I don't know that it's a Stant part, but it's certainly a 180. This is a "normal Chevy thermostat", as I recall.

Do you have the correct radiator cap/caps? On the 330, this is an unusal setup - a non-pressure cap at the radiator, and a pressure cap in the expansion tank - which means the hose to the expansion tank has to take full system pressure ... not ordinary hose. I got the hose at a BMW service place and removed the logo with lacquer thinner. It's not the "correct" ribbed hose, but it works just fine.
enio45

330 Radiator Fans

Post by enio45 »

Gents - - great info on the radiator and fans.....im just getting ready to my rad and fan and was considering to have the radiator shop clean the test the existing radiator, then install a Flex a lite - dual fan. I talked to the guys at Flex a Lite and they recommended
a md 295 that firs perfectly for the height (17in) and width (28in), and should have just enought clearance after removal of the original fan. They recommend to install it as "Pusher" mode (same as the orinial fan). It moves 3700 CFM thru the radiator. It draws 16 amps to start then up to 28amps.....its a phase-on type. It also has an adj thermosate.

The question I have, what amps does the original fans draw, and if this is larger, should i up the alternator to deal with the larger draw??

Thanks for any advise.....suggestions.....

ED
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ed,

The specs on your fans don't seem to be right. The initial startup of an electric motor is usually higher than the opperating amperage. I would guess your operating amperage is less than 10 amps. I would check with the manufacturer.

I'm not sure which car you have, but I'm assuming you had electric fans from the factory? These fans were far less efficient, drawing a ton of power, and pushing very little air, so you shouldn't have any problem using your current wiring. For 250 series engines with clutch type fans, I would recommend a relay to play it safe.

Tom
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Tom, thanks alot for the advise, ill check again on the initial and ongoing amps....i have a 330 GT 2+2 - #8289

It has one fan, original from the factory, mounted on the pass side. It has a mounting plate for the driver side, but no fan installed. I assume this was original as planned. The car is w/out AC and PS....so maybe one was assumed to be sufficient.

I agree these new style fans are the best way to go. Ill let you know what i find out.

Ed