Problem finding original 330gt color

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

kiwi330

Problem finding original 330gt color

Post by kiwi330 »

Cross-post over here from Fchat.

I am in the middle of a bare metal respray of my 330GT #8139 and come across a little problem.

I have the original order information from when my car was ordered and it lists the color as Blue Chiaro Metallic.

The company doing the work (Auto Restorations in Christchurch, New Zealand) sent me a color test sheet for the color named on the original documents as per the Ferrari Spec. Once the stripped the car it appears the original color, found under the rear parcel try, under windows and behind the door panels is a different color.

In the boot of the car they found what appears to be an original paint code of ACR 20295 which doesn't match any of the Ferrari paints of the time but possibly a Fiat paint. When they reproduced the paint as per the original paint code it's a light metallic blue/green color (included a picture of this compared to the correct Ferrari Blue Chiaro Metallic). While to my eye the color on the car looks to be more like the Azzure Blue Metallic.

The car is currently all stripped back ready to paint and I've got a real problem on my hands trying to work out what is even the correct color and what to repaint the car.

Any advice from somebody experienced on the forum here would be greatly appreciated. As might be imaged I'm totally confused here and don't want to screw up what is going to be a very expensive repaint!!

1966 RHD 330GT2+2 #8139
Yale

Post by Yale »

This what that color looks like in situ. This is 5445 and while the color is right the metal flakes are a little off sized (that is if you ever see this car in person). Yale

Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
kiwi330

Post by kiwi330 »

Thanks for your reply Yale.

The documentation I have from 12 Nov 1965 lists the original body color as "No: 19343M Metallizzato Blu Chiaro"

I also have a document dated 31 Jan 1966 listing the color as "Light Blue 20.295 A.It.".

Can you confirm that this is the color of the car in the photo you provided?

Perhaps somebody has some details or knows where to find the makeup of this paint? The second paint sample I have received from the restoration company is definitely a light blue/green color and very different from the color in the photo Yale provided.

It does appear that if the car in Yale's photo is Metallizzato Blu Chiaro then this is a very different color from the modern Ferrari's sold with "Metallizzato Blu Chiaro" color paint jobs.
1966 RHD 330GT2+2 #8139
Yale

Post by Yale »

Check this out:

http://www.jb330gt.com/Colors.htm

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Kiwi:

From the appearance of your inside bodywork, the lighter color would certainly seem to be correct (original), and it's quite close to Yale's car - another argument for it being the original one.

Repaints can be pretty thorough, though, so it's hard to be absolutely certain you've uncovered the original color. In the case of my Cab, it took me getting all the way down to the bracket WAY under the dash that holds the upper end of the steering column in place in order to find a bit of original color I could match to. And even then, the unobscured area was no bigger than a fingernail.

I went through the whole process of trying to match ancient paint codes and manufacturer's numbers and ended up just as bewildered and frustrated as you probably are right now. If it were me, and I wanted to repaint the car what I thought was the original color, I'd go with what was in the most undisturbed spot on the car - wherever that might be. Look at it like a treasure hunt and it won't seem so odious.

For my money, the Pininfarina designs from this time period have always looked the most handsome in the darker colors, and the darker of the two swatches you posted above would be pretty delectable.

Best of luck...
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

I believe that is the color of Buddy Obara's 330 he might have the color formula. M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
kare

Post by kare »

kiwi330 wrote:The documentation I have from 12 Nov 1965 lists the original body color as "No: 19343M Metallizzato Blu Chiaro"

I also have a document dated 31 Jan 1966 listing the color as "Light Blue 20.295 A.It.".
What doc is the one dated 12/nov/65? That seems too early for this car, so maybe it was a confirmed order or something like that? I have 19343 also described as "azzurro", so probably yet another medium blue... Your sticker confirms Italver 20295 as the correct color anyway... Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT