Seeking Current Whereabouts of Lusso #5849

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

alfaowner

Seeking Current Whereabouts of Lusso #5849

Post by alfaowner »

Anyone out there know where Lusso 250F 5849GT is these days? I have some parts from that car I would like to see re-united with it.

It was advertised for sale by Michael Sheehan in 1988 & in need of restoration. Next, and last, history is that it was a no-sale at the Orion auction in Monaco in 1991. At that time it was red with tan interior, not original motor. Based on this last record, I assume that the car may still be in Europe somewhere.

I spoke to Michael & he doesn't remember the car. And, Orion auctions is out of business.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Norm
Norm
Alfaowner
alfaowner

Search Update

Post by alfaowner »

Update on the search--

Last week, I called the phone number I found for the broker who bought the Lusso here in the U.S. and brought it to Europe in 1988, Charles Gnadinger, Bern, Switzerland. Got an answering machine. Left a message. But, no response to date.

I also spoke to David at Toni Auto in Maranello & Matteo at Luppi Tappazzeria in Modena. Both companies worked on the Lusso's restoration prior to its appearance at the Orion auction in 1991. Neither David nor Matteo remembered the car. Both said they would look further in any records they might still have. So far, nothing new.

Anyone have any other ideas on how I might locate the current owner of this Lusso (s/n 5849)?

If I don't learn anything more in the next few weeks, I'm going to put the seats (That's how I learned the serial number. They are numbered.) on eBay. I need room in my shop as I'm seeking a race engine for the Giulietta Spider. It still has the original engine & I want to preserve it. Racing any more with it is getting too risky with metal fatiguing & prices of matching-number Alfas climbing.

Any help will be appreciated. I would really rather see the seats reunited with the car, even if they are not used in it. (The interior was changed from black to tan in the restoration).
Norm
Alfaowner
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Norm,

Being an Alfa offcianado, would you know of any nice Montreals for sale?
I almost bought one recently, only problem was that the seller had no title.
A slight problem....

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
alfaowner

Post by alfaowner »

These seats were originally offered to Ferrari people that I know. You weren't one of them. Some expressed interest. But, I was advised to put them on eBay. When I did, I got a call from a Ferrari expert who urged me to pull them from eBay and try to find the owner of the car. That's what I'm doing.

While some people may not care if they have a car with "matching number" parts, many of us do. And, regardless of where the car is, I want to at least give the current owner an opportunity to get them, even if he or she never uses them. Personally, I think the change to a tan interior makes a better combination. I've done that myself on a few on my cars.

Norm
Norm
Alfaowner
SLM

seats

Post by SLM »

Norm,
Right on! I am with you. Find the original owner ! Forget ebay and the lowballers.
Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
alfaowner

Post by alfaowner »

Steve:

This has been a study in frustration. I may put them back on eBay in June as I'm going to France in May and the broker who brought the Lusso from the US to Europe, Karl Gnadinger, called me last week. He now lives beteen Marseilles & Monaco & I'm going to be visiting both. So, we're going to try to meet to explore the search further.

We'll see what happens.

More as it develops.

Norm
Norm
Alfaowner
alfaowner

Post by alfaowner »

I give up.

After a 4-month search that included emails, ads & phone calls all over the world & a visit to 5849's last known location, Monaco, just before the F1 race, I have come up with nothing beyond the information that Ferrari Market Letter has from 1988 to 1991.

And, since I need the room & $$ for a race engine for my Alfa Gilietta Spider, they have to go.

Consequently, I have listed the seats from Lusso 5849 on eBay today. Listing is #280238473807.

My thanks to Steve & Tom.

An aside: While in Paris 2 weeks ago, I was standing on the corner of Quai Voltaire & Pont Royal when a '60s Ferrari spyder went by. It caught me by such surprise I only got a photo of the right part of his trunk. A California Spyder (?) in rush hour traffic with his dog on the passenger seat? WONDERFUL! That's what they were meant for.

Ciao!

Norm
Norm
Alfaowner
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Where you staying at the Hotel du Quai Voltaire?

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
matt

Post by matt »

What is the cost of the seats to the owner of the car? Should I be sitting down?
alfaowner

Post by alfaowner »

Rudy:

Close. We stayed at the Hotel d'Orsay.

Matt:

IF the owner shows up before the eBay auction ends, the price is negotiable with the then eBay price being the base. Of course, the owner would have to prove beyond any doubt that they are the rightful owner.

Norm
Norm
Alfaowner