Auto transport services. Looking for an honest one.

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Charlie_Dodge

Auto transport services. Looking for an honest one.

Post by Charlie_Dodge »

Diogenes thought he had it hard. I have recently moved from Boston to Dallas. Unfortunately, I had to leave my BMW 2000cs behind because the good people at Glynn Motorsports were still trying to locate some unobtainium bits and pieces. The work on the car is now finished and I need to move it to the land of mandatory air conditioning. I received a plethora of shipping quotes via the Internet. Further research reveals that I am swimming in shark infested waters. I don't know whom I should trust. Please be my lantern. Can any of you recommend an honest company to use? Do you have personal experiences, good or bad, with this industry?
fest

councours

Post by fest »

call fred @ concourstransport
http://www.concourstransport.com

I have had several cars transported
and it was always nightmare
they always showed up late, filthy, and damaged
but
fred provided great service:
enclosed transport
door to door
not the cheapest
but the best I have ever dealt with

as is often the case
the car was delayed
but at least fred did not try to bs me
(or even downright lie)
as too often has been the case in the past
when the car does not arrive on schedule
(this was due to the crumby winter you all had back east)
he answered and returned my calls
even after he had the car
(usually, once they get the car in their clutches,
you can forget about customer service)

no, I am not related to fred or any thing like that
just a satisfied customer, that's all

ps the transporter driver even wiped off his feet
before getting into the car to unload it
Charlie_Dodge

Post by Charlie_Dodge »

Thanks Fest. I submitted a quote request on his site.
Charlie Dodge
1966 330 2+2 series 2 sn 8095
1967 BMW 2000cs
1974 BMW 3.0cs
2000 BMW 323it
2001 BMW 325ci
1991 Miata
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

I used Horseless Carriage to ship my 400i from CA to CT 4 1/2 years ago. They were competitive with the other top quality transporters (e.g. Passport, Intercity) and did a good job.

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Charlie,

A friend of mine just used Horseless Carriage to move a car from LA to NYC, and she had no problems. It's a popular route, so there were no delays.

Tom
andy

Post by andy »

When I shipped my '65 Corvette cross-country to California a number of years ago my criteria for choosing a carrier were 1) enclosed transport, 2) experience shipping classic/exotic cars, and 3) accepts cash on delivery. The third criterion arose from horror stories I heard from friends who used companies that required payment up front. Invariably the car was "temporarily lost" or they experienced ridiculous delays with no reasonable explanation. If you are paying 100% on delivery they have a huge incentive to get your car to you as quickly as possible.

I ended up choosing Intercity Lines and was not disappointed. They are very experienced moving classic cars and their service was great. Before they arrived to pick up my car they called me when they were two days out, one day out, and the morning of the pickup to keep me up to date on their progress. The driver and his partner were friendly and VERY careful with my car throughout the loading and unloading. Since my car was on the lower level of the trailer, they covered it with plastic in case of drips from the car above. Sure enough, the car arrived nice and clean. Overall I was totally satisfied.

http://www.intercitylines.com/ (and no, that is not my Corvette in the picture on their site!)

FYI I have also heard that Passport and Horseless Carriage are quality carriers but have not used them myself.

Good luck,

Andy
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

I had very good service from Intercity some years ago to deliver a car from Ohio to New England. I was kept informed of the status. A young couple operated this particular truck cross country. I recall that the truck was immaculate and that it took up half the block! They were friendly, professional and most careful unloading. No problems. I would use them again.

Chris
benedict

Post by benedict »

I just had a 355 Spider transported from Colorado to NJ by a company called Coast to Coast. It came in about 3 days (totally enclosed) in the biggest truck I have ever seen in my life. The car was absolutely PRISTINE! I don't know the price because transport was included in the purchase price for the vehicle but I would recommend them in a heartbeat. I have all the info at my office and will post it tomorrow if you are interested.

Ben :D
enio45

Auto Transport

Post by enio45 »

I used Horseless Carriage 3 times - as well they are the Ferrari NA sole supplier for new car distribution. Competitive rates and excellent service, communications and care for the car.
Charlie_Dodge

Post by Charlie_Dodge »

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I spoke with a local car dealer who had high praise for Dependable Auto Shippers. I got a quote that was reasonable, crossed my fingers and made the arrangements. Imagine my surprise when my BMW got here in 5 days instead of the anticipated 15. There was no damage and everyone involved was professional and courteous. I would use them again.
Charlie Dodge
1966 330 2+2 series 2 sn 8095
1967 BMW 2000cs
1974 BMW 3.0cs
2000 BMW 323it
2001 BMW 325ci
1991 Miata