Loss of power !

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

SLM

Loss of power !

Post by SLM »

While driving the 250 GTE for about 40 minutes the car was running great and suddenly I had a complete loss of power. I pulled to the side of the road and stopped. looked under the hood and everything looked ok. I turned on the electric fuel pump and it was ticking for and unusually long time. It then stopped and the car fired right up. I then turned the pump off . I drove home 10 minutes away and the car ran great again. I was thinking was that a fuel vapor lock or what could it be? :?

Conditions:
The outside temp was 95 degrees,the gas tank was almost full, the mechanical fuel pump was rebuilt about 75 miles ago, all carb seals replaced,both fuel filters are relatively new and no fuel leaks.
thanks,
Steve
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

SLM,

Regardless of the fact that the mechanical pump was rebuilt, I personnaly would start by checking the mechanical fuel pump. It is possible that the two actuating plunger levers are broken.

If you really beleive that it might be vapor lock try driving the car after it has cooled off.

john
Yale

Post by Yale »

This used to happen to me if I was in a traffic start and stop situation. It was vapor lock and Francois suggested that I use the electric pump at these times, (as suggested in the manual). I did this until one day (with Tom in the car actually), I lost power while moving well. Indeed, it was time to rebuild the apparently weakened mechanical pump and I wondered if that also exacerbated the vapor lock situations I had been in. Best, Yale
JimB

Post by JimB »

I found while rebuilding my pump that there was excessive wear on the actuating lever cross shaft and this diminished the effective stroke. The engine would not run on what little fuel was being pumped. The cure was to use an oversized shaft and pin it at each end so that it won't move.
The pump has worked very well for over 2 years.

JimB
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Check that your fuse for the ignition system is making a tight and clean connection