Parts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Yale

Post by Yale »

Well you folks know I am on this parts information kick which it doesn't seem to be getting much traction. None the less I thought I would continue to detail my experiences for your amusment.

I ordered a hoodpad for my series 1 330GT from Lyle Tanner (now called Ferrari Parts Exchange for some reason). He has been in the Ferrari parts business for a long time as many of you may well know, especially those of you who have seen his old catalogs detailing most of the rubber gaskets used on our cars. (Hey can someone who has one of these scan it and place it on an information area in one of the sites?). I saw a catalog open to the gasket pages on top of one of the cars Francois was restoring, pretty cool to imagine the ability to order whatever you needed from a catalog!

Anyway, Tom had told me about ordering something from Tanner that never came in so as I inquired about the hood pad I asked about availability.

"Oh yes I have it, I was told, $350 plus shipping. But why don't you get the Daytona hood pad I have as it is made from much nicer material."

Well, though that is listed at $950! on his site he quoted me $750. Still, a lot more then $350 for the proper material pad so I ordered the $350 one.

Three weeks went by and no hood pad arrived at my door so I called "Ferrari Parts Exchange" and was told. "Oh, we don't have stock on that pad and our suppliers aren't making any right now. So we'll credit your charge card."

Wait, I don't get it, I said, you charged my card for items you don't have? And I thought to myself, and didn't credit me until I called. I think of this because today, a month and a half later, the charge shows up on my card bill but no credit, yet. Yale
fest

UK

Post by fest »

at this point
I can oly re-iterate my experiences

I have had much better luck
with the UK Based Ferrari Parts (Spares) dealers
in terms of service and price
(and LACK of attutude, I might add)
vastly superior service and prices, in fact
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Lyle Tanner's website has the same pictures of rubber trim that were in his catalogs from the early 80s. See http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/rubber_trim.htm and select your favorite model.

However, don't depend on the profile being exactly as the original rubbber as substitutions have been made due to lack of availability.

Another source of rubber trim is Re-originals (http://www.reoriginals.com/Ferraricatlg/ferrubber.html). Cross-referencing the profiles with the numbers for each model will let you figure out if the item is correct. The same caveat holds about not depending on the supplier says is correct. Sometimes they will supply the closest thing that they stock, not the exact right item.
Yale

Post by Yale »

Well I have gotten - off bulletin board - replies that say Tanner's rubber is no longer correct and I have ordered from Re-Originals a few times and had to return the items.

By the way Fest, I wrote to Ferrari UK about getting a hood pad and got no response. Best, Yale
simonc

Post by simonc »

I'm surprised you did not get a reply from Ferari UK. Jeff Howe, who is teh classic car parts manager, is very active in the FerrariChat forum and usually replies almost immediately.

Try emailing him directly at jeff.howe@ferrari.co.uk
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

I wanted to give accolades to GT Car Parts as well. Bill has been able to supply me with some pretty obscure stuff and his prices are VERY reasonable.

Keith
Yale

Post by Yale »

Well I did get a response today from Mark Langfield at Ferrari Classic Parts
Tel: +44 (0) 1784 486253
Fax: +44 (0) 1784 486272
http://www.ferrari.co.uk

Unfortunately they don't have hood pads, just complete hoods that include pads ($1300)! Ah well.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yale

P.S. FYI GT Car Parts doesn't have hood pad either.