ebay: Jack Hole Plug

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

fest

ebay: Jack Hole Plug

Post by fest »

Charlie_Dodge

Post by Charlie_Dodge »

Thanks Fest. If I win this I'll only have one more to go.
Charlie Dodge
1966 330 2+2 series 2 sn 8095
1967 BMW 2000cs
1974 BMW 3.0cs
2000 BMW 323it
2001 BMW 325ci
1991 Miata
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Geoffrey Ohland at PartsSource says he has had some made, but doesn't want to sell them until he has fabricated some way to keep them from falling off of the car. I check in with him from time to time, but I guess he hasn't done it yet.
Yale

Post by Yale »

Because of a prior discussion on this list, Parker Hall now has a new clip that is quite springy which comes with his jack hole covers plus Tom Shaunessy (sp) also has had hole covers made up which he says should stay in. I haven't tried Tom's yet but I have gone through two others so far. Oh, in both cases the hole cover (complete with springy metal thing), are $60. - Yale
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Did the springy thingies work? You say you have already gone through two. Does that mean that you bought two and they are still there, or that you lost two?
Yale

Post by Yale »

One of the ones that came with the car fell off and I bought an orginal and that fell off too. Parker just sent me a new metal tab he made up for the remade one I had bought from him but not used since the old tabs would have obviously, (to me anyway), not kept the little sucker in. Especially where I drive, which is all over the place including very crappy NYC roadways. Best, Yale
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Here's a picture of Parker's Jack plugs:

Tom
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I don't know about everybody else, but most people don't have the correct jack to go into the jack hole. Even if you do, on a 30+ year old car, jacking up the car using the jack hole is likely to bend the sheet metal in that area as the underlying support will be weak. Therefore I carry a scissors jack that I can put under a frame member as needed.

Given that, I drilled a hole in the spring clip, another in a convenient place near the inside of the jack hole and used safety wire to wire the jack hole plug in place. Now I no longer worry about them falling out. The only disadvantage is that you have to be careful about excess wax around them when you wax the car.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Kerry,

I agree with NEVER using the jacking points on these old cars, and I've thought of another method. They make these rubber freeze plugs that go into engine blocks. They look like rubber stoppers with a bolt through them. What if something similar was made to fit inside the jack hole? You'd have to figure out how to squeeze the rubber to expand inside the jack hole by spinning the chrome cover. Without my morning coffee, I'll need to think about this later!

Tom
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Also, any good hardware store will have metal and plastic plugs in a variety of sizes that would fit into the jack plug hole. The metal plugs tend to have the short spring clips all around the circumference. They have a slighly convex, smooth chrome finished surface.

The disadvantage is that they are not original Ferrari style. The advantage is that their cost is likely to be 2 decimal points more favorable to the buyer (i.e. $0.60 each instead of $60 each!).

John
fest

stop it

Post by fest »

while we are on the subject of cheap fixes
why not try a rubber stopper
(you know, the ones from chem lab)
with a hole through the middle
washers, bolt, nut, voila
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Fest,

The plugs are more decorative than anything, so if it were up to using rubber stoppers, I'd simply go with nothing.

Tom