center caps

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mike66

center caps

Post by mike66 »

Hi there

I wonder if anybody in this excellent forum has a good idea what to do with the 4 freshly rechromed Borrani center caps of my 330 GT 2+2. The problem is this: the shop rechromed the threads too (very bad idea!) and now 3 of the 4 caps do not fit i.e are very hard/impossible to turn/fasten. I know that I could send them back and have them redone again, but I don't want to wait another 4-6 weeks for them to return. I did a lot of work on my car over the winter and spring (refreshed the whole ignition system etc.) and am deperate to finally drive the car again. Would sand blasting the threads help? Any other ideas? Thanks a lot for your help.

Mike (in Zurich, Switzerland)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Sand blasting may remove too much material from the peaks of the thread, and weaken the connection of the knock-off to the hub. You may be able to sand off the excess chrome plating by finding the high spots with some machinist's blue. I would put some on the knock off and try screwing it together. Each time the threads bind, remove the knock off and look for rub marks. Sand this area off with some 200-320 grit sand paper. Keep going until it goes on smoothly.

Anybody got a better idea?

Tom
mike66

Post by mike66 »

Hi Tom

Thanks for the good idea! I'm just having a little break from doing exactly what you suggested and it looks like it works :-). It's 7.20 pm over here and I guess I'll have the car fitted with all 4 wheels in 2 or 3 hours again. I hope a can make a little test drive tonight after 7 months of work...
I'll keep you informed about my progress. Thanks again
Mike
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Mike,

I'm glad we're thinking on the same wavelength! Good luck!

How about a submission to the owner's gallery for us to see your hard work?

Tom
Mike Adams

Post by Mike Adams »

http://www.caswellplating.com has a kit that allows you to locally remove plating using a piece of gauss dipped in electrolyte on a stick and a small wall transformer for a power supply.

Also good for locally adding/touching up chrome.
mike66

Post by mike66 »

Hi Mike and Tom

Sanding, scratching and lots of work did the job, all 4 center caps fit again perfectly :-). Yesterday night, the car has been lowered from its jack stands for the first time after 7 months and ..... but let me post a new message about that topic so maybe somebody can help and others will be saved from the same mishap.

But first, thanks for your help regarding the center caps!