Tom's Front Seats

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Kris

Tom's Front Seats

Post by Kris »

Tom,

They look great! I look forward to seeing your progress on the rear seats. And looking forward to seeing how the interior looks when it's all in place. I know, I know: One thing at a time!

If growing up around cars has taught me anything, it's that things take time and patience. And *lots* of money! Great site, keep up the good work.

Kris
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I can't wait to see how the back seats turn out either!!!

Tom
wax

Post by wax »

Fantastic job. Impressed with everything you've done.
Only horse I've ever ridden was attached to a stick
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks Wax! I'm glad I have this journal to remind me where I started with this project and to see how much I've learned!

Tom
Koll

Post by Koll »

Hey Tom,

Gorgeous work on the rears and what you've done with the door frames! You have a mentor which appears invaluable, but for those of us who don't, are there are recommendations - books, videos, etc.

Thanks,

Koll
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Koll,

I owe so much to all of the craftsmen who've taken the time to teach me all that I've learned. This knowledge is even more valuable when I find very little information out there in books or the Internet. In the old days, apprentiship programs passed on this knowledge from craftsmen to apprentice, but trade schools eliminated this process, and lost some of this information. My advice is to find the local guy (over 60) who has the experience and knowledge to teach you something no book or trade school can. They're out there right under our noses because modern society is too busy notice!

Tom
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I have tried the local Community Colleges here in Los Angeles, but have had no luck. It seems that Auto Shop is no longer in vogue. I guess with cars being as complex as they are today, auto mechanics is no longer a night course.

By the way Tom, how is your book coming?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

I'm still trying my best at writting this book! It's probably harder than restoring this Ferrari!

Tom
Kris

Post by Kris »

I agree with Tom on the craftsman view. I've grown up around an automotive shop since I was three years old. I'm now 24 and in those 21 years, I've met a lot of older gentlemen who had knowledge and a patience that is hard to match or understand in the world we now live in.

Much of the tricks I've learned have been from these older guys. "Work smarter, not harder". That's a phrase I'll always remember when working on any project I decide to tackle, as it was drilled into my head when working with one of these older gentlemen.

Tom Wilson: you're absolutely correct in the realization that cars today are very complex. My degree is in Information Systems (computers) and even I'm amazed at the amount of technology they're stuffing into these newer vehicles. It's mind-boggling the amount of information, training, and tools one needs to diagnose a relatively simple problem.

I really enjoy all the insight and information that is shared in this forum. I hope someday when I'm restoring a Ferrari, I can look back at this and make my work smarter, not harder. :D

Kris