Horn Detailing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Re: Horn Detailing

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Craig,

The trumpet base number appears to read "2119".
No idea what this would mean.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
carello

Post by carello »

Rudy van Daalen Wetters wrote:Craig,The trumpet base number appears to read "2119". No idea what this would mean. Rudy van Daalen Wetters1963 GTE s/n 40011966 330 GT s/n 8705
Hi Rudy, We need a good photo of this trumpet stamping to evaluate. I have not found trumpet bases stamped after this early 60's period, so not a lot of data. We need more photos please, calling all horny Ferrari.
Craig

Another data point is a Fiamm horn from a 1972 application, Compressor stamp my guess is 9D. The 1972 car has been extensively restored, so good chance not OEM. Important point is the black label, MC/1, serie 2000 and the info and the grapic layout. Also interesting is the stamping location at the very center bottom
Attachments
5022_Fiamm9Dguess.JPG
5022_Fiamm9Dguess.JPG (152.54 KiB) Viewed 14682 times
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Here are a couple of pictures. The first is stamped 112:
IMGP2513.JPG
IMGP2513.JPG (440.79 KiB) Viewed 14675 times
I believe that this was original to GTE 3305.

The second is stamped 309 and came with one of my PF coupes but wasn't original as they would have had Marchal Stridor horns:
IMGP2514.JPG
IMGP2514.JPG (448.24 KiB) Viewed 14675 times
Note the red and green oil caps with one attached on the filler pipe while the other is attached on a separate stud. The red says OIL while green has the Italian OLIO.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
mikewegener

Post by mikewegener »

carello wrote:Just for another data point, here is a serie 2000 set from the 70's (i think).
note the E3 marks....what does this signify?
Craig
Hi Craig
The E3 mark means that the loudness of the Horn conforms with European Noise standards.
You should find similar marks on other horns manufactured for european consumption.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

My theory prior to this TomYang thread was the first digit stamping indicated year of manuafacture and the following letter indicated a time within that year, maybe a month, maybe a week. So i happen upon you folks and thru the few earlier Fiamm i have seen, my theory still looks valid and even more so with the 3 digit stamping.
So, the 111, to me, indicates 1961 with 11 indicating (maybe, let's not rush this) November
So by this theory, my horns stamped 212 would have been manufactured in December 1962. My GTE left Ferrari in December 1962 and Pininfarina in February 1963. Works for me...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
josh

Post by josh »

Tom Wilson wrote:
My theory prior to this TomYang thread was the first digit stamping indicated year of manuafacture and the following letter indicated a time within that year, maybe a month, maybe a week. So i happen upon you folks and thru the few earlier Fiamm i have seen, my theory still looks valid and even more so with the 3 digit stamping.
So, the 111, to me, indicates 1961 with 11 indicating (maybe, let's not rush this) November
So by this theory, my horns stamped 212 would have been manufactured in December 1962. My GTE left Ferrari in December 1962 and Pininfarina in February 1963. Works for me...
On my 1967 Fiat Dino, the number appears to be "611". So.. november 1966, which sounds appropriate to me!

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
carello

Post by carello »

330GT wrote:Here are a couple of pictures. The first is stamped 112:I believe that this was original to GTE 3305.The second is stamped 309 and came with one of my PF coupes but wasn't original as they would have had Marchal Stridor horns:Note the red and green oil caps with one attached on the filler pipe while the other is attached on a separate stud. The red says OIL while green has the Italian OLIO.
Wow, great photos Kerry, thank you very much!

Mike thanks for E3 info. I have a concern that this Fiamm serie 2000 is actually a 2006 manufacture because of the inclusion of this E3 marking. This is a picture i found of a Fiamm set currently for sale in Manila. Is it possible that this E3 is something in the past 10 years and not before?

Josh, great info, and as you state for Dino, these same Fiamm are used for Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Maserati, Iso, Bizzarini, and others. Is it possible to post a picture or 2 of your compressor?

I am posting an info photo with pieces from a serie 2000 displayed, NOS hose slice, NOS "Y"piece. these date from 1972. This info is not intended to be the answer to all Fiamm hose and Y, but data from a point in time that might be useful. I just sliced a 1/4" off for scanning purposes.
maybe this will help
Craig
Attachments
FiammPlastichosebarb2.jpg
FiammPlastichosebarb2.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 14537 times
carello

Post by carello »

Just as a note as well - I personally do not have any Fiamm compressor stamping photo data for the era 1964 thru 1967 ..........and the early era photo data of 1961 thru 63 is what i have learned here at tomyang.net from yoose guys. So i am still requesting more photo data of Fiamm compressor stamps, especially 1960-1975 cars
thanks
Craig
josh

Post by josh »

carello wrote: Josh, great info, and as you state for Dino, these same Fiamm are used for Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Maserati, Iso, Bizzarini, and others. Is it possible to post a picture or 2 of your compressor?
Yes, here it is: (sorry for the poor picture.. not much light available in the garage right now, and the flash just washed it out worse)
Attachments
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 14534 times
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Ok, this weekend is designated as "let's get an old toothbrush
and clean up the FIAMM compressor day".

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
josh

Post by josh »

*laugh* I was thinking the same thing, looking at mine. My whole engine is a mess really. It got coated in fine sand when the car was transported. Need it to warm up a bit outside so I can risk some water :)
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Ok, this weekend is designated as "let's get an old toothbrush
and clean up the FIAMM compressor day".
I thought that was last weekend...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
mikewegener

Post by mikewegener »

carello wrote: Mike thanks for E3 info. I have a concern that this Fiamm serie 2000 is actually a 2006 manufacture because of the inclusion of this E3 marking. This is a picture i found of a Fiamm set currently for sale in Manila. Is it possible that this E3 is something in the past 10 years and not before?
Craig
mikewegener

Post by mikewegener »

mikewegener wrote:
carello wrote: Mike thanks for E3 info. I have a concern that this Fiamm serie 2000 is actually a 2006 manufacture because of the inclusion of this E3 marking. This is a picture i found of a Fiamm set currently for sale in Manila. Is it possible that this E3 is something in the past 10 years and not before?
Craig
Sorry about the double post. Getting old I guess. The E regulations come from the DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) industry guidelines that had guided manufacturing since the 1920s.
When the European guidelines came into being in the late sixties and heavily during the 1970s the E with a little number next to it became part of many products. E markings are for instance found on headlamps and taillight lenses and are revised every so often.
I am sure the revisions could be traced but I would not know where. Looking at the tag it does look modern, especially the two different E markings. Usually manufactured goods were cheapened over the decades. I would use the quality of the fasteners, plastic chrome or not, flimsyness of bracketry and general appearance (cheap or high quality) be my guide as to how old something is.
Mike
carello

Post by carello »

The E regulations come from the DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) industry guidelines that had guided manufacturing since the 1920s.When the European guidelines came into being in the late sixties and heavily during the 1970s the E with a little number next to it became part of many products. E markings are for instance found on headlamps and taillight lenses and are revised every so often. I am sure the revisions could be traced but I would not know where. Looking at the tag it does look modern, especially the two different E markings. Usually manufactured goods were cheapened over the decades. I would use the quality of the fasteners, plastic chrome or not, flimsyness of bracketry and general appearance (cheap or high quality) be my guide as to how old something is.
Mike
Thanks Mike,
Here is the link to big photos of this serie 2000 Fiamm horn and another more modern model. i just Googled Fiamm using the Images. It really looks like a more modern production date, based on e3 E3 and the box graphics.
http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+ ... ismo+Horns