Let's talk about posting photos on the site.

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Let's talk about posting photos on the site.

Post by Tom Wilson »

The photo sticky at the top of thread page refers to the old bulletin board and is no longer relevant. In fact, photos posted on the old version of the bulletin board will not show up on this version, but that is another topic. A recent mistake on my part caused me to look into the new photo upload process to make a standard that we can all work with.

What I have figured out is that if the photo is too wide for the width that you have opened your browser to, you will get a slider If you click on the photo, it will enlarge. However, if it is too tall, you get a slider, but if it is too wide, you do not; it just cuts off the right side of the photo. How wide is too wide? It actually depends on how wide your browser is open and is not set by the program, unlike the height. Stretch the browser and the photo will stretch. Josh thinks sliders can be made to appear with some code changes, but has yet to try (I think).

The problem with this came up with my posting of a scan of the Fiamm Factory on my November 27 posting in the Horn Detailing thread. Tom Kizer noticed that at the right of the screen there were silver horns. Now, if you enlarge the photo with a medium sized browser, as I did before replying, it cuts off the right side of the photo, which eliminates the silver horns. Scrolling to the right of the non-enlarged photo would have shown them. Good thing I was polite (read mildly sarcastic) in my reply, which was hopefully misinterpreted to cover my mistake! I actually thought he had photoshopped in the silver horns, as I did not see them (should have looked at the original).

Now something new. Look again at the Horn Detailing thread. Carello's photo on January 23 is a typical photo, sized 564 x 452 pixels and gets a good sized slider in both directions, no matter how wide your browser. Click on it and you may or may not get cut off, depending on your browser size. John Vardian’s photo of January 27 is 600 x 800 and does not get sliders no matter how wide the browser. Carello's January 29 photo is 772 pixels wide and only gets a little bit of slider (750-760 pixels wide would probably have eliminated the width slider). I think the site allowed a wider photo here because the words pushed the photo below the avatar on the right, leaving more room. We can't count on everybody writing this much, but it is interesting to note.

So here is what I think. When we did the first photo thread, we took a poll and 500 pixels was the maximum width that worked with the most people's screens. If everybody used that width it would eliminate sliders, but would not allow anybody to enlarge the photo. I think this is ok, as it would eliminate confusion and loss of information when enlarging.

Any thoughts? When we all come to some sort of consensus, we can make a new photo sticky.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Yale

Re: Let's talk about posting photos on the site.

Post by Yale »

Um respectfully, why is the photo posting on this site more complicated or protozoac then other sites? (Said around a table at Passover.)
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
carello

Post by carello »

Tom, Thanks for posting detail around this. I learn something everday and today i now know to click on the posted slider photos to get a full view (most times). i would put this info into the first sticky and delete all the history post in that same sticky, as they are not relevant.....and this thread stuff is.
I use a batch of browsers IE, Foxfire, Sea Monkey and i get sliders both directions on big photos until i click, then you are right, they are cropped on the right side and even more if there is not enough message text to drive it below the avatar.

For me, you just cant get too big of a photo. I like the big details!
Craig
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Yale - I know some people are having trouble posting photos, even with the new system, so instructions would probably be appropriate. What I am interested in is figuring out how to get the biggest photo possible without the site cropping it.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
josh

Post by josh »

There are some auto-resizing add-ons for phpbb that I can look into, perhaps this weekend.

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/