Post by carello »

Second set of photos
Attachments
CornelisCoilSet2.jpg
CornelisCoilSet2.jpg (114.37 KiB) Viewed 10189 times
carello

Re: Coils... again

Post by carello »

Third set of photos, also displaying the crimping tool used to crimp the top of the coil to the high tension wire :lol:
Different sticker, red paint
Craig
Attachments
CornelisCoilSet3.jpg
CornelisCoilSet3.jpg (112.35 KiB) Viewed 10180 times
carello

Post by carello »

Fourth an final set. Great photos Cornelis, thanks for taking the time to send to me.
Craig
check out the terminal boots on the installed coil and notice how they do not fit the wire. Their purpose must be for electrical shorting protection and not weather proofing.
Attachments
CornelisCoilSet4.jpg
CornelisCoilSet4.jpg (167.74 KiB) Viewed 10165 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Mr Carello , the last two dirty fotos are shot from my dailydriver.
wrong color of cords wrong boots and much more etc
the last three years no problem with any electric.
under the boots the wiring is isolated
FUNCTIONALITY is more important for me.......
nice days

ciao
Cornelis
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

carello wrote:Interesting to note the sticker type, silver zinc bracket yet chromated resistor feet, (BREV) added to resistor marking, red solid wire routing.
Thank you
Craig
Probably stating the obvious, but - (BREV) = BREVETTATO = PATENTED ??????

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
carello

Post by carello »

buurman wrote:Mr Carello , the last two dirty fotos are shot from my dailydriver.wrong color of cords wrong boots and much more etc the last three years no problem with any electric.under the boots the wiring is isolated FUNCTIONALITY is more important for me......nice days ciao
Cornelis
Whoops, i should have added, the boots Cornelis shows are the correct vintage boots as shown. This is how they are supposed to be ! They are large on the wire end! It is the nature of these boots.

Here is a collection from oem Marelli coil applications. Some people collect stamps, some people collect coins, some people collect dust, but real people collect rubber boots from old Marelli coils off V12 applications.
Craig
Attachments
MarelliCoilWireBoots1.jpg
MarelliCoilWireBoots1.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 10110 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

A question about the stamping on the resistors... is it just a surface/superficial stamp or is it a stamping into the ceramic casting of the unit, done before baking. Mine was painted over and once I removed the paint there was no trace of any lettering. Thanks.

john

PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

A couple more great coil photos from Cornelis.
The red coil seems to be embossed - 12V B20D8
note: the truncated Marelli logo on the bare white resistor. This is an early sixties trait, my guess 1962 thru 1965.

The black coil is embossed - 12V BZR200D

My later coil with black Bakelite and red metal BZR201A is not embossed anywhere, simply heat stamped in the top land area. The resistor has a full oval Marelli logo.

Craig
Attachments
CoilBottom_1617.jpg
CoilBottom_1617.jpg (117.02 KiB) Viewed 10015 times
Coil bottom_1618.jpg
Coil bottom_1618.jpg (129.01 KiB) Viewed 10014 times
carello

Post by carello »

John Vardanian wrote:A question about the stamping on the resistors... is it just a surface/superficial stamp or is it a stamping into the ceramic casting of the unit, done before baking. Mine was painted over and once I removed the paint there was no trace of any lettering. Thanks.john
John, my research so far seems to show a simple stamping of off white or yellow ink or paint.

Are your red top coils stamped with data on the top land area? If so, how are they marked?
Nice detail work John, You know there is a thick (1.5mm) gasket between the resistor and it's metal bracket. Maybe just a soft isolator?
thank you
Craig
Attachments
ResistorPrint1200a.jpg
ResistorPrint1200a.jpg (93.96 KiB) Viewed 10009 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Craig,

The 1.5 mm gasket is actually a gelatin like translucent film.

john
PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

Two more photos from Cornelis, thank you.
first is a clearer view of the BZR200A red top coil and its stamping.
second is a closer view of the 6P resistor with full oval ( i dont know if the full oval is really a period trait or not as the sample we have is too small at this time).

Looks like i cant load the photos at this time - some sort of restart is needed due to a windows update - tomorrow i guess.
Craig
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

A few questions...

1. What is the finish of the nuts and washers that hold the coils' brackets to the bulkhead?
2. The red wire that couples the coil to the resistor, is it solid or stranded?

Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

Two more photos from Cornelis, thank you.
first is a clearer view of the BZR200A red top coil and its stamping.
second is a closer view of the 6P resistor with full oval ( i dont know if the full oval at the bottom of the resistor is really a dateable trait or not as the sample we have is too small at this time).

Looks like i cant load the photos at this time - some sort of restart is needed due to a windows update - tomorrow i guess.
Craig
Attachments
The solid core red covered wire appears to be tin plated silver. A cZ flat washer is used at either connection (coil/resistor) then topped with a cZ split lock at coil or cZ ext star at resistor, then the cZ nut.     cZ=clear zinc, yZ = chromated yellow zinc<br />Solid red wire ends are appropriately curled into nice loops at either end prior to installation.
The solid core red covered wire appears to be tin plated silver. A cZ flat washer is used at either connection (coil/resistor) then topped with a cZ split lock at coil or cZ ext star at resistor, then the cZ nut. cZ=clear zinc, yZ = chromated yellow zinc
Solid red wire ends are appropriately curled into nice loops at either end prior to installation.
BZR200A12V6F_1634.JPG (133.66 KiB) Viewed 9901 times
6PFullOvalYellowPrint_1633.JPG
6PFullOvalYellowPrint_1633.JPG (85.25 KiB) Viewed 9901 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:A few questions...

1. What is the finish of the nuts and washers that hold the coils' brackets to the bulkhead?
2. The red wire that couples the coil to the resistor, is it solid or stranded?

Thanks.

john

Hello John and Mr Carello all the answers by pics in your mail boxes
You will both soon be invited as the new judges at PB and the FEAR of all professional restaurators.
don forget to drive!
I hope for the readers :John's project will take some years more so we can expect more topics.
I have enough stuff for investigation, but are not so motivated in these kind of things ,but helping sending fotos is not the problem.
ciao
C.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I have tried to mimic the color difference. When stripping the paint off the resistors, I found the color to be a very dark red. These colors are "Regal Red" for the coils and "Burgundy" for the resitors, both by Rust-Oleum.

john

PF Coupe