Coils... again

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

carello

Re: Coils... again

Post by carello »

John Vardanian wrote:I have tried to mimic the color difference. When stripping the paint off the resistors, I found the color to be a very dark red. These colors are "Regal Red" for the coils and "Burgundy" for the resitors, both by Rust-Oleum.john
John, in my monitor the colors look very correct, but i am not sure about the gloss finish. Maybe others can verify what might be a good gloss level for these Marellis coils. They sure look good!
Craig
carello

Post by carello »

Have had 20 parrallel project going with 01132, some are smaller cosmetic issues. Here are the Marelli coils painted and ready for silver foil Marelli stickers and yellow stamping on resistors.

Paint used on coils was Rustoleum, Satin finish, Heritage red #7760, spray can .......which i found quickly at Lowes. Had a slow dry time, but seems okay, color pretty close not exact for me, but i was not going to mix up small exact batch at this point.

One resistor i left untouched for fun. Sure hope the coils work well with Pertronix, but no tears if they need replaced. plenty of paint left in the spray can.

Stickers required, i see them in Kilimanjaro Design catalog - Parker Hall. I emailed him last nite at - Parker Hall <kilidesign@hotmail.com>
kinda old fashion snail mail and checks if i remember.
any other Marelli sticker suppliers?
also ordered a coil resistor stamp (my graphics) online at - thestampmaker.com
thanks
Craig
Attachments
MarelliCoilSticker1.jpg
MarelliCoilSticker1.jpg (60.33 KiB) Viewed 6530 times
VLGCoilsRefreshed_4809.JPG
VLGCoilsRefreshed_4809.JPG (114.93 KiB) Viewed 6530 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

carello wrote:Have had 20 parrallel project going with 01132, some are smaller cosmetic issues. Here are the Marelli coils painted and ready for silver foil Marelli stickers and yellow stamping on resistors.

Paint used on coils was Rustoleum, Satin finish, Heritage red #7760, spray can .......which i found quickly at Lowes. Had a slow dry time, but seems okay, color pretty close not exact for me, but i was not going to mix up small exact batch at this point.

One resistor i left untouched for fun. Sure hope the coils work well with Pertronix, but no tears if they need replaced. plenty of paint left in the spray can.

Stickers required, i see them in Kilimanjaro Design catalog - Parker Hall. I emailed him last nite at - Parker Hall <kilidesign@hotmail.com>
kinda old fashion snail mail and checks if i remember.
any other Marelli sticker suppliers?
also ordered a coil resistor stamp (my graphics) online at - thestampmaker.com
thanks
Craig

Hi Craig, you and others here a taking a lot of time to details questions.
Which is OK for me , but you seems to forget the functional importing things and thats makes blinding the mind.
First :
You never mention the pearlmutt heathseperator or " firewall" part between the barcket of the coil and the resistor.

Is this Asbest/ Asbestos ? it shines pearmutt difficult to photograph.

Second :
Mistrust old coils : they all look alike, but you can't see if they have been overheated
many times! Buy a new ones, now you know that this one will not be overheated
anymore.
these aspects are for me much more important considerations.
Use old bracket and resistor on the new coils than painting!
otherwise you are not restoring very well.
So only two ways:
buy NOS mint in box( expansive?)
or new MM coils of Fiat 500/600 or blue Bosch .

BTW you stickers are availabale with silver or gold back ground see below

Go on with the " The insanity of details gets to me every now and then."
it make me smile.

Cornelis
Attachments
gold or silver my M.I.B coilsstickers
gold or silver my M.I.B coilsstickers
IMG_0276.jpg (58.56 KiB) Viewed 6490 times
asbestos ?
asbestos ?
IMG_0275.jpg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 6490 times
seperator
seperator
IMG_0274.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 6490 times
carello

Post by carello »

250GT wrote:Hi Craig, you and others here a taking a lot of time to details questions.
Which is OK for me , but you seems to forget the functional importing things and thats makes blinding the mind.
First :
You never mention the pearlmutt heathseperator or " firewall" part between the barcket of the coil and the resistor.
Is this Asbest/ Asbestos ? it shines pearmutt difficult to photograph.
Second :
Mistrust old coils : they all look alike, but you can't see if they have been overheated
many times! Buy a new ones, now you know that this one will not be overheated
anymore.
these aspects are for me much more important considerations.
Use old bracket and resistor on the new coils than painting!
otherwise you are not restoring very well.
So only two ways:
buy NOS mint in box( expansive?)or new MM coils of Fiat 500/600 or blue Bosch .BTW you stickers are availabable with silver or gold back ground see belowGo on with the " The insanity of details gets to me every now and then."
it make me smile. Cornelis
Hi Cornelis, Yes there is what looks like "Mica" transparent gasket or plate to isolate the resistor heat, very fragile.

1) i would like the published Marelli tech specs from 1965 for these period BZR201A coils - reistance, voltage, etc.
2) i would like the current Marelli tech specs published for the new BK2A (BE204A)coils - resistance, voltage, etc.

Yes this is insanity, but it is fun to share these attention to details like little boys when we show ours cars to each other.
Aint that the fun in life?
Now let me show you the details about Bosch voltage regulators, Boranni knock offs, CEAM ignition switch, Tudor batteria, Foredit washers, Pirelli tyres, Fiamm horns, ......it is fun to be insane.
dont ya think?
Cheers
Craig
Ps i got the Marelli stickers from Parker today, I put them on the coils, now the coils sit on my desk like trophies.
Attachments
IMG_0278.jpg
IMG_0278.jpg (115.46 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
carello

Post by carello »

still waiting for my resistor stamp from stampmaker.com
Attachments
CoilsStickers_4836small.JPG
CoilsStickers_4836small.JPG (102.69 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

O.K. Here's something that might stir things up. These a the coils on 2259, and the resistance stamping is on the bottom of the resistor!
2259_112.jpg
2259_112.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 6429 times
Any thoughts?
'63 330 America #5053
carello

Post by carello »

tyang wrote:O.K. Here's something that might stir things up. These a the coils on 2259, and the resistance stamping is on the bottom of the resistor! Any thoughts?
Tom, Great data point for 1960-61? I have never seen this before (but i am marque challenged-1964+). Can't make out if date or ohms?
I got my own stamp for my 1967 project Italian. $11.90 delivered. 9.95+1.95. about a week.
This stamp was done as a "graphic jpg" not text lines. I took a scan of an actual stamped resistor, cleaned it up, made it 2 color B&W, and then used it full size (as it was an actual scan 600dpi), bought it as 1/2" x 1" wood stamp.......$9.95
The stamped label is an actual stamp from this stamp!
How many times you think i am going to use this? But i have cut back on Starbucks coffee outings!
Cheers
Craig
Attachments
VLG_4837.JPG
VLG_4837.JPG (88.91 KiB) Viewed 6379 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

This can be only a TY viewer with megalomania :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari- ... _500wt_956

C.