Coils... again

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Coils... again

Post by John Vardanian »

Would someone kindly give me a paintspec for the right shade of red for the coil? This is a 1964 (pretty late) Lusso.

Is this horrible orange-red the right shade? Also, is the balast the same color as the tank? Thanks.

john

PF Coupe
tyang

Re: Coils... again

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

There does not seem to be any consensus on coil colors. Parker Hall has been sending me various rattle cans of coil paint to try out, and every time I think I have a good match, I find some original coils that do not match! To add to the confusion, the resistors are not exactly the same color! If I had to describe the color, it's a reddish orange, tending more towards red. The coils with the tootsie roll resistors seem to be different in color than the square resistor coils. I'm beginning to suspect that Marelli red paint changed through the batches.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I went through this for the coils on my 330 GT, but at Tom mentions, the colors may have changed over time. Anyway, see http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/CoilPainting.htm for the colors I used.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

John,

Whatever color Luigi mixed that day is it.

There is no question that the original Marelli coil color varied time to time. I have seen original color on a NOS coil (will send you photos and you may post if you wish) somewhat similar to the coil in your photo (looks repainted?) for the rectangular resistor style. I've also seen a darker original red, towards burgundy for the same. The resistor is usually a different color as if it was sourced separately. I've seen several variations also on the earlier coil with the tootsie-roll style resistor. For the tootsie-roll type, the coil and resistor are usually the same color.

C.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I have noticed that nine out of ten "restored" Lussos have the garish orange-red, like mine (in the first post). I like the color in the below photo better. So, will the coils pass scrutiny if I painted them in this color? Thanks.

john

Photo from Kerry's website
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hi John , the couler of your firts foto is right.
With this bordeaux red painting you can get mayby a michalin star.
I have several N.O.S coils excactly like that.
Will send you fotos on your PM.

ciao
CORNELIS
carello

Post by carello »

Magneti Marelli BZR201A coils are where i have done some research. Just as a starter, it is always nice to know what the coil and resistor details are, either what you are restoring or what you are using as a sample. Here is a top photo of a BZR201A.
It would great if you could post photos of coils from cars you currently have access to - like period Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa, Fiat, Lancia, Autobianchi. It would be nice to take the coil off the car and do a photo shoot.

I find the color on the black topped BZR201A of the late sixties to be kind of a red oxide color, not even semi gloss, but not flat. The square resistors are not painted on the belly side and tend to be just a fraction browner than the red oxide coil.

Craig
Attachments
MiuraCoil_2044a.JPG
MiuraCoil_2044a.JPG (107.92 KiB) Viewed 11804 times
carello

Post by carello »

Just another data point to consider. Not to be a smart aleck, but it is a chuckle to walk thru Pebble, Quail, Concorso, Amelia, Pocono and note the attention to detail on high end Italian cars............and then compare it to the details on 1953 Ford or 1957 Chevy at Hershey AACA show.
Anybody got photos of their unrestored coils with reference to the application?

I think color is an important issue but...................there are actually 20 other items to consider on a Marelli coil installation.
Craig
Attachments
MiuraResistor 1968_2046b.JPG
MiuraResistor 1968_2046b.JPG (138.33 KiB) Viewed 11780 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks all. I just wanted a prettier color for the coils, but I did get some photos from Cornelis of unmolested coils and they do confirm the hideous orange.

Craig, I believe the letter "G" on the resistor signifies the power rating of the resistor in Joules. Since Italian has no "J"...

Here in America we rate resistors in Watts. One Joule is roughly the equivalent of one Watt (dissipated for one second).

john
PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks all. I just wanted a prettier color for the coils, but I did get some photos from Cornelis of unmolested coils and they do confirm the hideous orange.Craig, I believe the letter "G" on the resistor signifies the power rating of the resistor in Joules. Since Italian has no "J"...Here in America we rate resistors in Watts. One Joule is roughly the equivalent of one Watt (dissipated for one second).
john
Well it might be 8 Joules, but i am not sure..........it looks so familiar, i just cant place it.
We need more data!
Maybe 8 grams?
naw
maybe 4 pounds?
naaa
maybe 7 eletrical units?
hmmmmmmm
just...not...making...any...sense, maybe some day, someone will figure this out!
Craig
Attachments
ParkerHallpage10_2007.jpg
ParkerHallpage10_2007.jpg (153.66 KiB) Viewed 11716 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

carello wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:Thanks all. I just wanted a prettier color for the coils, but I did get some photos from Cornelis of unmolested coils and they do confirm the hideous orange.Craig, I believe the letter "G" on the resistor signifies the power rating of the resistor in Joules. Since Italian has no "J"...Here in America we rate resistors in Watts. One Joule is roughly the equivalent of one Watt (dissipated for one second).
john
Well it might be 8 Joules, but i am not sure..........it looks so familiar, i just cant place it.
We need more data!
Maybe 8 grams?
naw
maybe 4 pounds?
naaa
maybe 7 eletrical units?
hmmmmmmm
just...not...making...any...sense, maybe some day, someone will figure this out!
Craig
I think you are right Craig. It could be 8 Joules, 8 Watts. Maybe it's 8 Enzos... who knows.
PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

buurman wrote:Hi John , the couler of your first foto is right. With this bordeaux red painting you can get mayby a michalin star. I have several N.O.S coils excactly like that. Will send you fotos on your PM. ciao CORNELIS
Hi Cornelis, Can you post the photos, on this thread, of your N.O.S. red coils please? What are the markings on the coil tops as well please. thank you, Craig
Attachments
IMG_5408.jpg
IMG_5408.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I feel an archive topic comin' on...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
250GT

Post by 250GT »

carello wrote:
buurman wrote:Hi John , the couler of your first foto is right. With this bordeaux red painting you can get mayby a michalin star. I have several N.O.S coils excactly like that. Will send you fotos on your PM. ciao CORNELIS
Hi Cornelis, Can you post the photos, on this thread, of your N.O.S. red coils please? What are the markings on the coil tops as well please. thank you, Craig

You have a PM Carello,

Cornelis
carello

Post by carello »

Cornelis photo came to me and i will post with his permission. They are a little small, but useful and i have combined into sets. the number in the corner is the IMG_XXXX.jpg photo file number from the camera.
Interesting to note the sticker type, silver zinc bracket yet chromated resistor feet, (BREV) added to resistor marking, red solid wire routing.
Thank you
Craig
Attachments
CornelisCoilSet1.jpg
CornelisCoilSet1.jpg (134.2 KiB) Viewed 11556 times