FCA Nationals in Wisconson

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Yale

Re: FCA Nationals in Wisconson

Post by Yale »

I just drove to Cleveland a couple of weeks ago to take the kid to look at Oberlin. It's about 8 hours from NYC. Not sure Cleveland itself is worth staying or stopping in. We did eat at a really great meat and potatoes resturant in Harrisville Pa. called The Family Tradition. About 6 1/2 hours west of NYC.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

tyang wrote:Hi Tom K.,

You're more than welcome to stay at my house on Sunday night. Sam has the guest room, but I can offer a fold out couch if you don't mind. I'm about an hour south of Albany, and is a little bit in the wrong direction, but can I can offer a meal and a safe place to park.

Tom
I appreciate the offer, Tom, but I'll already be driving about 1,200 miles each way. I would rather not add a couple of hundred miles to that.

Tom, if you live about an hour South of Albany, will you be taking the Southern route or Northern route toward Cleveland?

I don't want to insult anyone whose hometown is along the route, but is there something of particular interest to Ferrari Lovers that we might want to stop to see?

What are some of your "ideal" routes and schedules? Comparing those, maybe there are some easy compromises that would at least result in our being able to take a few meals and gas stops together.
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Parker Hall just told me that the EAA Fly IN at Oshkosh is the same weekend as the FCA National!

I'm thinking about going on Friday.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

tyang wrote:Hi Guys,

Parker Hall just told me that the EAA Fly IN at Oshkosh is the same weekend as the FCA National!

I'm thinking about going on Friday.

Tom
I'm game. I signed up for the rally as a "pleasure cruise", followed by the Harley-Davidson Museum, but I'm more into aircraft than motorcycles anyway. I've secretly always wanted to go to the Oshkosh "Wingding" anyway.

I would, however, like to be back for the reception Friday night.

Tom Kizer
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, Tom, As an EAA member I can tell you there will be more V12 engines at the EAA than the FCA! Jim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Jimmyr wrote:Tom, Tom, As an EAA member I can tell you there will be more V12 engines at the EAA than the FCA! Jim
Hi Jim,

It's something I've always wanted to do, and I can't think of a better opportunity to see it!

Although I know one day is tough to see it all, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. My interest in airplanes is also with the old stuff. Radials, and piston engines.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Roughly 47 miles from Elkhart Lake to Oshkosh, takes about 1 hour.....not adjusted for traffic.
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I just got an e-mail from Mike Epifanio, the FCA Event Chair for the Wisconsin Event, and he informed me that Spectators get in FREE for the Thursday July 30th Concours, and access to the track is $35 bucks! Now that's more like it! If you're a member of the FCA, and read through some of the applications, there were only two options available: a $495 and a $895 ticket. Meals and receptions are included, but lodging is extra.

My next question for them would be a one day rate for local FCAers to bring their cars in for the Concours on Thursday, but before I do this, is anyone interested in showing their car on Thursday only? It would be great to see some more Vintage Cars at these events, and I'm sure there are people near Elkhart Lake that own old Ferraris!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to find a day to have a Tomyang.net get together during the FCA Nationals. It looks like there is nothing planned by the FCA for Thursday night after the Concours. Anyone interested in meeting for dinner?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

If it is not too late, as I will be driving back to the Chicago area later on Thursday night. Jim
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

tyang wrote:Hi Guys,

I've been trying to find a day to have a Tomyang.net get together during the FCA Nationals. It looks like there is nothing planned by the FCA for Thursday night after the Concours. Anyone interested in meeting for dinner?

Tom
It sounds good to me. I'M IN.

Tom Kizer
4REBUF

Post by 4REBUF »

Tom,

I am planning on going to Elkhart for the National as I have been asked to Judge. I will be driving from my home in North Bay, across the northern route and will cross into the States at Sault Ste. Marie.....just in case anyone cares. I will be going in my rusty Taurus wagon as things stand presently.

Clem.
tyang

Post by tyang »

4REBUF wrote:Tom,

I am planning on going to Elkhart for the National as I have been asked to Judge. I will be driving from my home in North Bay, across the northern route and will cross into the States at Sault Ste. Marie.....just in case anyone cares. I will be going in my rusty Taurus wagon as things stand presently.

Clem.
Hi Clem,

We'll be coming in from the south, but we'll see you there!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I finally found an excuse to bump this thread.

Mike Epifanio just emailed me in response to a question.

They have made arrangements for a car wash area to be set up on the West side of the Osthoff Hotel for those of us who don't own trailer queens but still like to enter them in the concours.

That justifies my Tuesday arrival and check-in. After the two-an-a-half day, 2,000 km trip from Québec, I can now de-grime, wash and re-detail my car right at the hotel on Wednesday without having to drive around Elkhart Lake looking for a place to do it.

Happy days are here again. I can feel the stress flowing away.

Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

O.K. It's getting close to plan some things. Tom K., you're still meeting us in Cleveland on Monday evening? I'm trying to see if I can get in touch with a Cleveland Vintage Ferrari owner or two to meet us for dinner. Once I figure out what area of Cleveland we need to be in, I can make a reservation for a motel.

Sam and I are planning on stopping somewhere south of Chicago on Tuesday Evening, but looking at Tom K.'s last post, it looks like he's going to push through to Elkhart Lake?

Mark Dempsey is planning on meeting us in Cleveland as well with his Queen? Just confirm you're joining us for the stop on Tuesday night.

Wednesday, we're planning to caravan up with Todd (aka William)'s GTE and a couple other Ferrari outside of Chicago to arrive sometime on Wednesday.

Thursday is the FCA car show.

Mike Epefanio informed me that there is nothing scheduled for Thursday night after the Concours, so this would be a perfect time to meet at the Ostoff for drinks. I may work out something for dinner, but we can start by meeting at the Host Hotel Bar.

Friday I'm heading to the Oshkosh Fly in for the day. The FCA has a track day, and although I love being at the track, the Oshkosh event is something I can't miss if I'm already in the area!

Those are the plans so far!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053