Oil Filters

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

giovanni44

Oil Filters

Post by giovanni44 »

Does anyone have any preferences for the 330GTC. As it is getting harder to find the Fram filters in both types, I`m looking to find the appropriate filters of the same manufacturer. Any suggestions or recomendations.

Thanks,

Giovanni
Yale

Re: Oil Filters

Post by Yale »

Baldwin
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I know what everybody will say about Fram Filters, but in this case the Fram PH2804-1 really is the best filter for the 330 GTC. I still have no problem finding them, either locally or on the internet. The most important things about the correct filter for the GTC is having a case with a high burst strength to handle the spike in oil pressure on cold start up, and having a standpipe in the filter to insure that no oil drains out when the engine is shut off. The old PH 2804 did not have a standpipe and Ferrari complained to Fram and had modifications made (2804-1) to incorporate the standpipe. You also want to make sure any oither filter you would chose to use has NO pressure relief valve in the filter itself, as a GTC has one in the engine.

As to the Baldwin unit, I have had good luck with this brand, but prefer to stick with the Fram, as I know it has all the required properties the GTC needs.

Dyke
giovanni44

Post by giovanni44 »

In preparation for winter storage, I changed the oil and filters on my GTC. As both of the filters are Fram PH2804-1, the driver’s side filter always presents a problem in that as soon as you remove the filter all the oil contained in the filter empties itself creating a clean up problem in spite of precautions taken to minimize the mess. Having said that, my question is can a filter with a drain-back (PB-50) valve be substituted at that location without causing other problems?

Comments please,

Giovanni
330GT

Post by 330GT »

giovanni44 wrote:... As both of the filters are Fram PH2804-1, the driver’s side filter always presents a problem in that as soon as you remove the filter all the oil contained in the filter empties itself creating a clean up problem in spite of precautions taken to minimize the mess. ..Giovanni
The 2804-1 has a stand-pipe inside, specifically designed to keep the oil in the filter so the oil pump doesn't have to fill the filter before oil flows to the engine. You do have to keep the filter vertical as you take it off.

I would cut apart the filter that empties and see what the internals look like. I've never had a problem like this on my 330 GT, which uses the same oil filter block as the GTC.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
mark

Post by mark »

Yale is right, if not uncharacteristically brief. Baldwin B253 filters work great, I just ordered a dozen for about $12 a piece, which should get me to 2016. They are stout and do not leak oil when you unscrew them from the filter housing. Fram filters are crap, but they are period correct.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I use Baldwin filters on my C4. They do work great. I was told they are used for diesel truck engines and handle high oil pressure.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
kare

Post by kare »

giovanni44 wrote:In preparation for winter storage, I changed the oil and filters on my GTC. As both of the filters are Fram PH2804-1, the driver’s side filter always presents a problem in that as soon as you remove the filter all the oil contained in the filter empties itself creating a clean up problem in spite of precautions taken to minimize the mess. Having said that, my question is can a filter with a drain-back (PB-50) valve be substituted at that location without causing other problems?
PB-50 cannot be used as it is a by-pass filter. It does not have a drain valve but a pressure plate (with only a small exit hole) designed to hold pressure steady inside filter as the oil just goes back into the sump from there, so there is no back pressure.
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
giovanni44

Post by giovanni44 »

It seems that in rereading my previous posts and the corresponding replies, it appears that I am not posing my inquiry clearly. What I am looking for is information on how other owners have delt with eliminating or reducing the oil spill created when changing the left hand oil filter on the 330 GTC. Is it something that is just learned to live with, are there other solutions or is there a problem with the filters,Fram PH 2804-1, that I am using? :?
Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Giovanni
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Get the engine warmed up, dump the oil, wait about 45 minutes and then remove the filters. You should then have no oil spills when the filters are removed.

Another option is to use a punch and drive a hole in the top of each filter. This breaks the air pocket in the filter and lets any oil drain back into the engine before removal. This method works well for the PH2815 and PB50 filters on the earlier engines also.
Dyke
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I too, bought a dozen Baldwins, from the manufacturer, I think, via Amazon. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Steve Meltzer wrote:I too, bought a dozen Baldwins, from the manufacturer, I think, via Amazon. steve

Hi Steve,
Do you want to get as old as Methusalem ?
Here in this forum they talk a lot of, which filter, what kind of oil ,how frequetly chance it. etc
I think this is all a bit hystiracal. (At least a maintanance which can be dome by the owner.)
My opinion of filters is known.
The new high quality oils are sooo good that every 25-302K km is more than enough for a change.( 25-28K miles or more)
Most cars have very low millages.
All the cars I opened has worn rearaxels ,worn gearboxer(syncro's ) and severe front suspension buschings ans pins damages.
To change twice a year cannot harm, but I prefere to support those oilcompanies by buying FUEL, and save the front suspension.
Well those who dont like my writingstyle don 't read my susggestions.

Nice weekend Steve,

C.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Hey Cornellis...Great to hear from you...I love your philosophical view of our beloved cars! Now 10 days post op open heart surgery and aortic valve replacement (think of it like a leaky exhaust valve, but it's the only one in the engine, not one of 12!) Right now, changin' filters is about all I could do, but hope to be a bit stronger in the coming months. Later. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Steve Meltzer wrote:Hey Cornellis...Great to hear from you...I love your philosophical view of our beloved cars! Now 10 days post op open heart surgery and aortic valve replacement (think of it like a leaky exhaust valve, but it's the only one in the engine, not one of 12!) Right now, changin' filters is about all I could do, but hope to be a bit stronger in the coming months. Later. s
Well thats great news Steve,
Your heartbeat(rev) will sattle to normal,
But you're energy(torque) will be better day by day.its like taking APO.
That means you can do all the maitanace on all your cars in the future whithout any doubt.
You will be fitt like a marathonshoe.
Tht means you can take care on the" stepchildren" of our cars ,I mean changing All the liquids of the cars,not only the oil of the engine.
we simple have to many classics.
I like to drive this one night raelly's in Belgium .
several times I had to refresh the DOT-4 before to start : 5-6 % water in the braking system.
Thats stress ,You will call this bad preparation ,I call it lack of time.
All the best with the recovery, from the orther side of the ocean.

C.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Steve Meltzer wrote:Hey Cornellis...Great to hear from you...I love your philosophical view of our beloved cars! Now 10 days post op open heart surgery and aortic valve replacement (think of it like a leaky exhaust valve, but it's the only one in the engine, not one of 12!) Right now, changin' filters is about all I could do, but hope to be a bit stronger in the coming months. Later. s
Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053