Guest Lecture Series at Cavallino

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

GlassGTB

Guest Lecture Series at Cavallino

Post by GlassGTB »

Greetings: Who will be attending the Guest Lecture Series at Cavallino? Do we know who is presenting and what cars will be there? I will definately be there as it is my favorite event at Cavallino. It is also free to the public.
Tom Wilson

Re: Guest Lecture Series at Cavallino

Post by Tom Wilson »

I will be there.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

I'll be there!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
GlassGTB

Post by GlassGTB »

For those of you who don't know, the Guest Lecture Series is great! It is on Thursday at 9:00 a.m. during Cavallino week at the Breakers Hotel. It is also free of charge! The format includes a classroom like lecture on three different Ferraris given by their owners and/or noted historians. If college courses would have been this interesting then I would not have spent four years to get a two year degree at Miami-Dade Community College! Finally, we head outside and further discuss the featured cars who are parked nearby. Cars are usually started as well. It is all great fun! :D
4REBUF

Post by 4REBUF »

I will also be there. I have heard that the cars on the list include the 250 GTE and perhaps the 250 SWB.

Clem.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Here's some more information from Parker Hall:
The preservation "show" is on Thursday starting at 9am. Parking is always a little strange. They try to limit it to valet parking at the main door to the hotel. For the judges on Saturday Sherry Gilbertson will give you a valet ticket after the judges meeting. On Thursday we will position the cars at the south east corner of the hotel building. To get there you will drive into the south entrance (beach club, 100 yards south of the main entrance). The guard there will recognize the cars and will tell you to proceed straight ahead on the sidewalk under the portico 200 feet to a round, paved area near the ocean. We will meet inside in a big ballroom on the south east corner of the hotel. (Ponce de Leon #5 I think.) There will be plenty of familiar faces with coffee, cokes, muffins, tea and a bathroom around the corner. Rick Race will do the introductions, with Allan Boe and Bill Preston doing a 5 minute history of the GTE's. Tom Yang will do 10 minutes on the different models and then Alan and David Seielstad will do 5 minutes on the SWB's. Then we will go outside and look at the cars in detail. I believe all of the prominent restoration guys will attend and I hope to do a world class discussion of all the usual minutia. If parking is ever a problem you can park at Whitehall ( the home of Mr. Flagler, 200 yards to the west, down the path where the transport trucks will be parked. This is the Henry Flagler Mansion, Whitehall, on Coconut Row.) More parking is available at the little shopping area, 300 yards north of Whitehall, Coconut Row and Royal Poincianna Way. This is the Poinciana Shopping Center, which includes the famous "Eau Bar", starting point for the Kennedy spring vacation tour.

We will break for lunch after the detailing seminar. The Preservation Council will have a lunch in the Flagler boardroom, at the rear of the hotel, across from the Aquarium restaurant. The Preservation Council meeting will begin at 1:30 and last as long as anyone has something to add. (4:30). The lunch is for the council members and the meeting is open to anyone who has an interest. Please let me know who will be coming so that we will have enough chairs. The jet reception follows and is something to do at least once. It is on the East side of the airport, at the center for the private jets.

For those people showing a car come early on Saturday morning, 7:30 and form a line along the right side of the main driveway and someone will guide you to your position on the green.

Best Wishes and I look forward to seeng everyone down there...Parker Hall
I guess if I'm on the schedule for 10 minutes, I've better start working on some kind of presentation!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
GlassGTB

Post by GlassGTB »

Do we know whoes GTE will be featured? Tom will your 330 America be parked outside the classroom for observstion? Also Tom, I am sure you can think of something clever to say that can fool the audience into thinking that you know a lot about these cars :)
tyang

Post by tyang »

GlassGTB wrote:Do we know whoes GTE will be featured? Tom will your 330 America be parked outside the classroom for observstion? Also Tom, I am sure you can think of something clever to say that can fool the audience into thinking that you know a lot about these cars :)
Hi Ramses,

I am a student of these cars just like everyone else. I'm hoping to hide in the shadows of Alan Boe, Parker Hall, and everyone who has been doing this longer than I!

My 330 America will be around during the week for anyone that wants to look, and on display on the on Saturday. I don't know what Parker has lined up for Thursday's presentation, but if I would be happy to help in any way. My car is certainly not perfect, but restored with my level of ability and budget over the past 10 years, so I'm sure there are better examples available.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
GlassGTB

Post by GlassGTB »

Tom, have you ever had the opportunity to serve as a judge? I think that would be great! Does anyone know if Judges get free airfare or hotels for working at the better shows like Cavallino?

I am looking forward to Cavallino and spending a couple of days in Ferrari heaven!
tyang

Post by tyang »

GlassGTB wrote:Tom, have you ever had the opportunity to serve as a judge? I think that would be great! Does anyone know if Judges get free airfare or hotels for working at the better shows like Cavallino?

I am looking forward to Cavallino and spending a couple of days in Ferrari heaven!
I've been asked several times at different shows even at the national level, and have so far managed to decline. The politics and egos have kept me away.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053