Filler from hell

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Keith Milne

Filler from hell

Post by Keith Milne »

Well, after putting off the inevitable for two years, I finally started stripping paint off my 330. The hood had been dropped on a battery charger by a previous owner that left a nice little peak right in the center - so that was the first to tackle. The hood looked pretty straight otherwise, and I was not expecting much of a problem . . . until . . .
The paint came off without a incident, but underneath, and covering almost the entire hood, was the grey "filler from hell" It took two days and a gallon of stripper to remove it all. Unfortunately, beneath that was a very wavy piece of aluminum. Off to the tin man it goes. After disecting various other parts of the car, I found that the 30 year old repaint (not the original color) was done over bare metal, which was encouraging, but I am anticipating more surprises along the way. And so I start, yet another, RESTORATION that I promised my wife I would never do again.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Keith,

Sorry to hear your filler story. Very few people know how to work with aluminum, so your problem is pretty common.

My wife has resigned to the fact that I will eventually buy another car, and will probably be restoring cars forever! She's even O.K. with it as long as we can still pay the bills!

Tom
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Keith,

Don't you live in the Monterey area? Who will work on the hood? I know a panel beater in Monterey I can put you in touch with. He has extensive experience with the exotics.

John Vardanian
Pontiac

Post by Pontiac »

When you said the "Tin Man" is it this Tin Man?

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/gallery.html
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

Pontiac - Yes - that's the guy. He did the panel work (basically restored the entire body) of my Ace Bristol. Outstanding workmanship.

Keith
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Just keep in mind that these cars were all handmade, not from perfectly machine stamped pieces. So the pretty lines that Pininfarina turned out were not because of the straight metal underneath, but the lead and thin layer of filler that they put on and then sanded smooth.

Regards, Kerry