Carb Synching

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DWR46

Re: Carb Synching

Post by DWR46 »

Tom:

My book was printed in 1992. It is titled Ferrari Market Letter Tech Tips Volume 1, complied by Dyke & Sue Ridgley.

I would be happy to scan the carburetor aticles and have them available for interested owners.

This book are long out of print, and I have no more copies, so I have nothing financially to gain by this, but I believe they have the answers to many of the questions that I see here on the forum. The book is set up like a factory parts catalog, by TAV numbers and sub-groups. That way all the carburetor articles are together, etc.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks for the input. Here's another question having to do with air/fuel mixture. Assuming one could measure the temp of the steel pipe at each leg of the exhaust manifold at an equal distance from the ports. Would this give any indication of the evenness of air/fuel mixture among the throats?

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

DWR46 wrote:Tom:

My book was printed in 1992. It is titled Ferrari Market Letter Tech Tips Volume 1, complied by Dyke & Sue Ridgley.

I would be happy to scan the carburetor aticles and have them available for interested owners.

This book are long out of print, and I have no more copies, so I have nothing financially to gain by this, but I believe they have the answers to many of the questions that I see here on the forum. The book is set up like a factory parts catalog, by TAV numbers and sub-groups. That way all the carburetor articles are together, etc.
Most of your info you can be find back in " Ferrari Guide to preformance" by Alen S.Bischop
reprinted by Velocepress
ISBN 1-58850-003-9
Only the quality of the pics is not as good as the first print.
a must for the "do-it youre -self Ferrari vintage owners."
long out of print also
But Bishop read youre book carefully I think.

best
C.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John:

As to your question related to exhaust gas temps, absolutely they are effected by air/fuel mixtures. While numerous other items also can alter the temps (ignition advance, compression ratio, etc.), using a temp gun can be an effective tool in checking mixtures. We have an Alfa Romeo 6C 3000 CM in the collection and it has six single barrel Weber 40 DOE carbs. They have flexible mounts to the motor and are only held together by a cold air box, so you cannot get a synchronizer gauge on the individual carbs. I synchronized these carbs by using a temp gun and adjusting the air flow rates and idle mixtures to get even cylinder exhaust temps throughout the engine.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke. I had bought a high temp probe-type digital thermometer, but turned out as soon as the probe touched the steel pipe it would get schizophrenic--due to the disturbances caused by the car's ignition system. I have since gotten a temp gun, but haven’t yet tried it.

john
PF Coupe
Timo

Post by Timo »

John,
is there a specific reason why do You wish to try exhaust temp reading instead of Sychrometer air flow method for synchronizing, since ,IMO, latter would give You more accurate and, especially for someone less experienced, more safely obtained results ?
Timo
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Timo, I thought that in theory the exhaust temp read would be a good way to equalize the fuel/air mixture of each carb throat. But hearing Dyke, it actually is a practical way to do it.

john
PF Coupe
250GT

Post by 250GT »

John Vardanian wrote:Hi Timo, I thought that in theory the exhaust temp read would be a good way to equalize the fuel/air mixture of each carb throat. But hearing Dyke, it actually is a practical way to do it.

john

John,
Never work with "COLORTUNE" but could be interesesting.
I believe more in absolut correct timing and valve adjustment for perfect idling.
the rest I do by ears (hearing).
for those who would see it or buy:

www.carbtune.co.uk/colortune.html

C.

Post by 8339 »

Let me just say that Colortune in the absence of a two or four gas analyzer actually works pretty well. The same company does sell a digital CO analyzer, I have not tried one but they claim it's acurate.

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcar Company