Repairing 330 GTC horn button

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

5speed

Repairing 330 GTC horn button

Post by 5speed »

Does anyone have experience repairing a 330 GTC horn button? The black surround piece on my button is cracked. I have a new black piece but I am concerned that I may scar the yellow background or the cavallino when I try to remove the insert from the cracked black surround piece. See pictures.
Any ideas?
5 speed
Attachments
330 GTC  horn buton
330 GTC horn buton
Nardi Horn Button.jpg (104.74 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
new black surround piece
new black surround piece
Horn Black Surround.jpg (92.63 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
tyang

Re: Repairing 330 GTC horn button

Post by tyang »

I think the old black piece needs to be destroyed to release the yellow center. Some kind of milling machine set up would work great. I think the yellow piece is glued to the black piece, but if enough of the black piece is destroyed, it will release the yellow center.

Good Luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

I met Clete, the owner of the GTC in this thread down in Cavallino. He has a very nice car, and it was a pleasure to put a name to a new face on this website!

Geof Ohland of Partsource had a complete horn button with the prancing horse inset that is near perfect that would solve Clete's dilemma of removing the center from his old black plastic surround. The cost? $850! Clete's going to try his luck in removing the center on his original horn button, but it's nice to know he has a plan B, albeit $$$!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

tyang wrote:I met Clete, the owner of the GTC in this thread down in Cavallino. He has a very nice car, and it was a pleasure to put a name to a new face on this website!

Geof Ohland of Partsource had a complete horn button with the prancing horse inset that is near perfect that would solve Clete's dilemma of removing the center from his old black plastic surround. The cost? $850! Clete's going to try his luck in removing the center on his original horn button, but it's nice to know he has a plan B, albeit $$$!

Tom
A little bit research cannot harm.
C.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRARI- ... 704wt_1026
Attachments
A9.jpg
A9.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Cornelis,

That's a hell a lot cheaper alternative!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
4REBUF

Post by 4REBUF »

Hi frustrated horn button restorers.

There is something strange about this horn button in these photos. I looks like a repro to me?? The black part does not have the standard vent hole in the back, nor does there seem to be enough width of black plastic between the aluminum ring and the yellow sticker. Air is needed to keep the crystal bezzal from fogging up, hence the vent hole. The yellow part with the horse looks a bit different too. Over the years there have been a few reproductions out there. One that I bought, and quickly flogged, came in three parts, loose in a plastic bag. It had the black button, a poorly done sticker and a ridiculous oversized crystal bezzle that projected out from the black piece. I digress, but in the end, to get the right part, go to a good guy who sells good stuff, like Geoff, and pay up and lie to the wife about the cost... I am almost there. Bobby Smith researched the horn button thing for some time and as I understand, he now uses his copies on his cars. The part Geoff is selling might just be one of Bobby's?? If so, Bobby will have done it right....we might have to call them Bobby Buttons..??

My GTC's horn button is original to my car. The crystal is crazed a fair bit. I tried to remove it and dropped the button on the concrete floor in my basement. In a panic, I picked it up and it seemed ok. I popped the crystal back into place and haven't been able to remove it since.. I acted in haste. After a couple of decades to think about it, I should have taken the crystal to an eye glasses lab and had them reproduce a new crystal for me. I am now trying to get up the nerve to drop my horn button the basement floor again :)

Regards
Clem.