Liquivac

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Paul

Liquivac

Post by Paul »

On a dry sump engine is the oil compartment separate from the engine?

I am told that there is a system called Liquivac that will suck hot oil out of an engine thereby avoiding having to get under the car to drain the oil.

I have a Daytona and as you know it is a dry sump engine. Is there any reason this system (Liquivac) wouldn't work for this car?

Regards,
Paul
simonc

Post by simonc »

These things used to be popular in the UK about 30 yeaqrs ago. The problem is they leave all the deposits and other crap in the sump. At least when you drain it correctly this gets washed out with the flow of oil.

No one here uses this any more, much better to do the job properly I think.

Simon
tyang

Post by tyang »

Doesn't his system use the dipstick tube to get the oil out? Even though the diptick tube is pretty wide on a Ferrari, I wouldn't use it because of what's mentioned before, the dirt, and particulates in the oil tend to settle in the bottom of the sump.

I don't even think it would work on the dry sump on the Daytona. Oil sits in the resivoir tank that has a drain.

The advantages of draining from under the car is not only to thoroughly drain the dirty oil out, but also gives you a chance to look under the car to see if everything is working properly. Sometimes you'll spot a leak, or a broken part by getting under your car!

Tom