Trip to Italy

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Trip to Italy

Post by Tom Wilson »

I am planning a trip to Italy with my wife and kids next summer and am trying to swing through Maranello. I contacted the factory and it appears the only factory tour is a two day affair and does not allow kids under 16 (which would tick off my 13 year old). Has anybody been there recently? Is the museum open to the public? Is it worth going without the mega-tour?
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

To me, the answer lies in your personal interests -- particularly in the era of Ferrari history that is most compeling to you. The tour inside the factory proper gives a great overview of what's happening today. Probably best for an owner of the current cars. The two-day tour is a brand new development.

If vintage Ferraris and the era that spawned them is what you're all about, the actual factory tour can be missed with little regret. Instead, visit the museum, which is only two blocks away, but is closed Mondays.

My most memorable experience was having lunch at the Ristorante Cavallino across the street from the factory, which is not only an excellent retaurant, but is decorated in vintage memorabilia, including signed helmets from many of the Scuderia's drivers from the last 40 years. Luca di Montezemolo may just walk right by your table. Fiorano is also quite near, but virtually never open to the public.
vincent

Re: Trip to Italy

Post by vincent »

Tom Wilson wrote:I am planning a trip to Italy with my wife and kids next summer and am trying to swing through Maranello. I contacted the factory and it appears the only factory tour is a two day affair and does not allow kids under 16 (which would tick off my 13 year old). Has anybody been there recently? Is the museum open to the public? Is it wort :( h going without the mega-tour?
horner

Post by horner »

Tom Wilson, If you purchased your car from a Factory authorized Ferrari dealer they can usually arrange a factory tour for you. They usually begin at 10.00 a.m. sharp, don't be late. Also, you are correct, no one under 16 years of age, an insurance issue. Our family's tour in July 2002 was arranged courtesy of Ferrari North America, and even they could not get past that rule for us. That left a daughter, the car nut, and a nephew to cool their heels at the Ferrari Store across the street. The museum is very good, but a factory tour is great and lends an understanding as to how even a 4,000 production run can turn out a bespoke product. And some hospital operating theaters could take some cleaning hints from Maranello! Sorry, about the 13 year old; promise yourselves another trip! Oh, and cameras are Verboten, so leave them with someone outside the tour. As for the 2 day mega-tour, it appears that the factory is attempting to accomodate a broader spectrum and number of owners, not just the new car buyers. And no, I own the old ones, hence my interest in Tom Yang's site. Yes, Francois also works on our Series II 330 GT. Jack Horner