removing courtesy lights in Daytona

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

removing courtesy lights in Daytona

Post by Steve Meltzer »

The glovebox light is out on my Daytona. Same light as courtesy lights. How do you remove them to replace the bulb? Looks like it pries out, but I lost my nerve and decided to ask before I broke the fixture. Here's a picture of the bugger in question. thanx steve
Attachments
IMG_4711a.jpg
IMG_4711a.jpg (195.96 KiB) Viewed 6027 times
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Timo

Re: removing courtesy lights in Daytona

Post by Timo »

Yes, they should just "pop" out with slight pressure and wiggling/twisting, but before removing them, I would first check the possibility of the fixtures just being in a "off" position, as these fixtures can be turned "on/off" by rotating the lens 1/4-turn (or so). Many owners/operators/technicians often turn them off, especially if the car is being exhibited or worked on with one or both doors open for extended period without disconnecting the battery.
Timo
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx Timo, you were right, it was twisted a bit and now works fine. Got the glove box light to work as well. While I've got your attention. Doesn't the Daytona have a fast idle mechanism on the carbs? Sure hates the cold (that's a relative term in Houston!) thanx again. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Timo

Post by Timo »

(Adjustable ?) fast idle is incorporated as part of the choke linkage, but the way the system is controlled is quite laughable, at best. I've fixed (read, re-engineered) few. Another (rudimentary ?) way I've seen to achieve somewhat higher cold start idle is to utilize thermostatic idle control unit, found on right side intake cam cover of the smog equipped U.S. spec. cars. I've had few Daytonas in my shop with varying degrees of idle issues (hot and cold) and the best way I've found to sort them is to just accurately tune the engine.
Timo
Daytona73

Post by Daytona73 »

Yes there is a lever for the fast idle (choke) under the dashboard (left side of the steering column) but most Daytona owners never use it because it often fouls plugs on a cold engine.
N° 26 Choke Control.jpg
N° 26 Choke Control.jpg (246.96 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
Daytona73

Post by Daytona73 »

N°26 of the drawing. :D
Timo

Post by Timo »

Daytona73 wrote:N°26 of the drawing. :D
This choke lever location is usually found on "earlier" (up to '72, or so ?) cars, but on many "later" (at least U.S.-spec.) cars, the lever is often mounted in middle of the center console.
Attachments
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG (166.67 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
Timo
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

yep, my choke is under the dash. impossible to reach with your seat belt on! Arggghhhhh. I've heard that the fast idle mechanism on the right bank is very unreliable. thanx s
steve meltzer,