250 Gearbox

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

250 Gearbox

Post by John Vardanian »

I need to replace gearbox synchros. I understand the gearbox can come out through the cabin. Are there any special steps I need to keep in mind? Advice will be appreciated.

Who would be a good source for the synchro rings?

John Vardanian
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

Having just done this last week with #4969, here are some thoughts:

If your car is like the America, the driveshaft doughnut has to be unbolted and the driveshaft removed. Since the car will be on jack stands, use a pry bar or long screwdriver to jam between the bolts and nuts so you can turn the nuts with the cotterpins.

Once the bell housing bolts are off, the transmission mount disconnected, and the clutch linkage is disconnected, have one person get under the car to brace the transmission up. Have a second person straddle the transmission, seated in the rear of the car facing forward. Have the person inside the car give a tug on the tailshaft of the tranny until it clears the throw out bearing. The person under the car should be prepared to take the weight of about 50-60 pounds without having the input shaft hitting or binding on the clutch splines.

The both of you can wrestle the transmission onto a protective mat you laid over your clean carpets inside the car, and you'll be done.

Good luck!

Tom
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Huh? "Take a 50-60 pound weight"? Last one I pulled, I had the car up high and let the trans and overdrive unit snuggle down onto me while laying on my creeper and rolled it out that way. But it felt like Konishiki had just taken a seat on my chest -- not 50-60 pounds.

Re-Originals should be able to fix you up in terms of parts.
tyang

Post by tyang »

O.K., maybe it weighs a little more than that!

Tom