Belated introduction and thanks

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

Belated introduction and thanks

Post by Jumprun »

I'd like to first thank Tom Yang and all the contributors to this website, it has been invaluable to me in the last several weeks as I massage my newly acquired 330.

The car is an early 1968 330 GTC, I bought it from a private party in July of this year. The good news is this car is very original and unmolested, the bad news is this car is very original and unmolested! (it's had no TLC in a long time) The car has been repainted the original color and it's got a very nice original black interior, no crashes or big rust either! I also received a set of 5 Campagnolo wheels in addition to the Borranis. I believe I'm the 6th owner from it's Italian delivery.

The car had been relatively inactive for the last 22 years so I have been quite busy bringing it online. I've already done the electric fuel pump, the window lifts, replaced tires, cleaned the fuses, oil/filter, made many adjustments and I'm now in the middle of a clutch job including the slave cylinder....and a hundred other things that I'll list at a later date. Getting the valve covers off for a look-see are next on the list, as well as changing all the water hoses....the list goes on!

This is my first Ferrari, but not my first collector car and I prefer to do much of my own work, this is why I appreciate this site so much. I have a strong background in the 356 Porsche and early 911, I also have an engineering and machining background and own an engineering and manufacturing company, so I'm well suited to the challenges of ownership.

After owning and working on many early Porsches, my standard is pretty high with regard to craftsmanship and design, and I can say that this Ferrari has not disappointed me in any way; it’s beautifully engineered and constructed...very high quality. After wrenching and sorting for hours on end my opinion grows, the car is really a pleasure to work on...I guess I got a good one too.

I'd like to begin contributing now by posting progress and some pictures about what I'm up to. I've attached a picture after I unloaded it at my home; the tow strap is still connected and duct tape is still holding the window trim on.

I have many questions that remain unanswered even after searching the archives, but I'll begin with a couple of, I hope, easy ones.

How do you remove the horn button?
What are the flywheel and pressure plate screw torque values?

Thanks and Regards from Tom, high in the Southern California mountains
Attachments
DSC01897.JPG
DSC01897.JPG (237.69 KiB) Viewed 10882 times
tyang

Re: Belated introduction and thanks

Post by tyang »

Hi Jumprun,

Let me be the first to welcome you to this website! Congratulations, and I know you have found one of the only corners of the Internet that exclusively deals with wrenching on a Vintage Ferrari!

We'll be happy to help you in any way, and I'm sure you'll find a way to contribute as well, because everyone learns from this process.

If you have an original horn button, the yellow horn button is glued into the black surrounding piece of plastic that is captured by the aluminum hub of the steering wheel. It comes out when you unbolt the steering wheel. Be careful not to break this piece, as reproductions (at least the good ones) are $800+!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thank you for the welcome Tom, and the tip on removing the horn button. In regards to the flywheel and pressure plate tourque values, I suppose I can use about 25 ft Lbs, which is about right for the 8mm bolts but if there is some factory value, I'd like to apply it.

Thanks again for this resource, --Tom M.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Jumprun wrote:Thank you for the welcome Tom, and the tip on removing the horn button. In regards to the flywheel and pressure plate tourque values, I suppose I can use about 25 ft Lbs, which is about right for the 8mm bolts but if there is some factory value, I'd like to apply it.

Thanks again for this resource, --Tom M.
Hi Tom,

You're welcome.

I'll have to see if I can find the torque values, but that sounds about right.

Don't forget to check to see if the front shock mounts are updated on your GTC!
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari663.htm

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

From the 330 GT service manual:
Flywheel bolts 35 ft. lbs.
Clutch bolts 30 ft. lbs.

Should be the same for the GTC as identical engine.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Tom - As you are in Southern California, are you going to the FCA National Meet in Palm Desert next week? Tom Yang, Zac Dugger, I and others will be there and would enjoy saying hi.

Tom Wilson
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Kerry, thanks for the torque values.

Tom W, I would like to attend the Concourse on Thursday, I hear it's open to the public. I would like to meet some like-minded enthusiast but I am concerned that it will be mostly newer (post 1980) cars. what can I expect?
I'm working hard to get my car in good enough shape to make the trip, even though it's only about an hours drive I don't trust the car yet and I wouldn't be thrilled to be waiting for the flatbed in the middle of the desert and missing the show. I think I will be attending regardless if I bring the car so have you a plan for a meet up?

Ok, got to go pick up the flywheel and PP from the machine and balance shop.

Attached is a photo of me pulling the car out of hibernation and going straight into my trailer

Regards, --Tom
Attachments
DSC01887.JPG
DSC01887.JPG (142.89 KiB) Viewed 10838 times
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Yes, it will be mostly newer cars, but enough people will be there with the good stuff to make it worthwhile. We hope to see the survivor GTE that Tom Yang rescued and Mark Dempsey is supposed to debut his newly repainted Queen (and it is worth seeing - Beautiful!) In any case, it is always good to meet face to face those you have only heard from before on the internet.

As for breaking down on the side of the road, it is practically a tradition. If nothing else, you can just keep going and bring it into the garage in flames (see Tom Yang goes to Cavallino, 2010). I will PM you my contact info and we can meet somewhere.

Anybody else coming?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Yes, Tom, please come to the FCA National event in Palm Desert. If your car makes it, we would love to see it!

I'll PM my contact information to you.

Tom Y.
'63 330 America #5053
5speed

Post by 5speed »

Hi Tom,
I know ther will be at least one 330 GTC and possible two 330 GTS cars at the Palm Springs Concours (talked with the owners) so this event would be a good time to see some very nice cars like yours. I have a 330 GTC which is in Platinum condition so let me know if I can give you any help.
Clete
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

Hi Tom M.

Very nice looking car. What is the serial number and mileage? Do you have DFI or DCZ carbs? Does it have air? Glad to hear you are willing to roll up your sleeves and work on it. GTC's are wonderful cars and (usually) a pleasure to work on. There is a shop manual and most parts are available. Before pulling valve covers, etc, you may want to get it running and see how the compression is. Saves duplicating efforts. Take a careful look at the ball joints, too. They tend to wear. If you have an original interior cherrish it. The original leather is impossible to replace.

When it's right you will have a great and reliable ride. Just met with a friend who drove his GTC from NJ to Texas and back. Done this a number of times and never had a major problem.

I have just finished and out of car engine clean up and suspension rebuild on my GTC and can say with some authority that you are instore for a great treat.

Jim W.
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Thanks for all the encouragement, yes I am lucky to have a nice original interior, attached are photos of the day I picked it up, notice the windshield trim piece on the front seat, I just got that installed today with a new seal...whata B****h that was! my fingers are still very sore and my assistant almost quit on me.
I've been evaluating, correcting and repairing and cleaning many items with no end in sight but I can say that the car is a distinct pleasure to work on. Thanks for the reminder about the V/C and compression check, that and a full tune-up are to be done soon.

Bummer about the horsey on the dash...it's a metal badge attached with screws all the way throught the door...Grrrrrr.

The s/n is 11157.
Mileage, is 16,xxx Kilometers, of course it gone around at least once, but I'm guessing only once, so it's 116,xxx K
The carbs are DFI.
No A/C and no evidence it ever had it.
The car was delivered new in Italy.
Attachments
gtc 11157 016.jpg
gtc 11157 016.jpg (205.78 KiB) Viewed 10695 times
gtc 11157 015.jpg
gtc 11157 015.jpg (208.85 KiB) Viewed 10695 times
gtc 11157 012.jpg
gtc 11157 012.jpg (234.44 KiB) Viewed 10695 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Glad you managed to get the windshield trim to fit. Whenever one of these pieces get rechromed, there's always a possibility of it getting distorted in the buffing process. Getting one that fits correctly is hard enough! Been there!

A good furniture repair person may be able to match the grain in the wood with stain after the holes are filled once you remove that tacky badge from the glove box door!

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053