250 Lusso

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

250 Lusso

Post by John Vardanian »

I'm not sure why I felt the need to bring this up, but does anyone remember the silver Lusso that was on Ebay in 2001. The car was a terrible mess, photographed inside what appeared to be a concrete bunker or a coop. A couple of guys wrote to this site seeking advice on whether they should buy it.

I have recently been communicating with the fellow that ended up buying the car. He is a Belgian and the car is in Belgium getting a total restoration.

John Vardanian
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

I remember the car well. Francois had mentioned the car to me before I bought my 330 America because he heard of the chicken coop the car was stored in out in NJ. If my memory serves me correctly, it sold for somewhere at $75K. That was crazy money back then because Lussos were selling for about $125-150K. Now it doesn't seem too bad of a price when Lussos seem to be selling for over $200K.

Is the current owner willing to share pictures of the current restoration?

Tom
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom,

He did promise me some pictures. I will remind him.

john
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

was it in New Jersey, or one of the Walt Medlin cars down in Florida? I seem to remember seeing pics of a silver or light metallic blue Lusso that was being liberated from one of Medlin's storage units about 2 years ago . . .
barchetta

Post by barchetta »

I believe that the Lusso, as well as an unrestored California Spyder and a 275 GTB/4 were all offered for sale by Basil Shadlun of New Jersey. I believe that he owned some or all of above vehicles for quite some time. I know that the Lusso and California Spyder were offered on e-bay. The Lusso was a pretty good value in light of the the current marketplace.
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

I remember this car crossing the e-bay block as well. Seeing the car in its dank-looking cinder block cell like some automotive Prisoner of Zenda was almost as bad as the 330 America in that awful Alabama (?) lean-to a few months back.

And if I remember correctly, at the time the main topic of conversation was all about the outrageous asking/selling price and the horror show that awaited the unfortunate buyer when he proceeded to restore the thing. Funny how the passage of a relatively short period of time can change the prevailing opinion on what constitutes a decent price/ fair value/ good investment, huh?
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Interesting, contemplating the passage of time and its effect on the value of things ... I wonder if the time will come when people will seek to reunite chassis of 2+2 cars that are living with fake racers with their rightful body shells?

Maybe the question should not start with "if" rather it should start with "when".

John Vardanian
tyang

Post by tyang »

Although I'm very happy with my 330 America, I have always dreamed about owning a 250 Lusso. Unfortunately, even when I heard about the Lusso in NJ, I just didn't have that kind of money! It always seems like I'm chasing the tail of a that horse! The good thing is I got my 330 America, and I won't have to chase those rising prices!

Tom