Need a 10 X 105 mm bolt

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Lowell

Need a 10 X 105 mm bolt

Post by Lowell »

I need a fine thread (1.0mm) 10 X 105 mm bolt for my 330GT rear leaf spring suspension.

Anyone have any idea where I might find one?
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II

Re: Need a 10 X 105 mm bolt

Post by 8339 »

Try Maryland Metrics, they may not have it in stock but can probably find one for you. 410-358-3130, 800-638-1830, mdmetrics.com
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

8339 wrote:Try Maryland Metrics, they may not have it in stock but can probably find one for you. 410-358-3130, 800-638-1830, mdmetrics.com
They did not have the bolts with fine threads, but they did have coarse thread bolts that had an unthreaded length larger than 105 so I can cut them off and rethread them.

Thanks ever so much for you suggestion. I was going through a later life crisis about never finding a bolt and never having my car run again.
Lowell Brown
SLM

Post by SLM »

Reoriginals.They list a 10 x 110 x1.0 on their website.
62 250GTE S/N 3733
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Lowell,

I have a box of 10X1X90s I bought for my rear suspension when a couple of bolts broke. I guess your car needs longer bolts? I seem to remember needing to cut the threads a little longer on these bolts, but I can't remember exactly how I made these work. I bought them from "Metric and Multistandard" in NY. If you think these will work, I would be happy to send you some.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

tyang wrote:Hi Lowell,

I have a box of 10X1X90s I bought for my rear suspension when a couple of bolts broke. I guess your car needs longer bolts? I seem to remember needing to cut the threads a little longer on these bolts, but I can't remember exactly how I made these work. I bought them from "Metric and Multistandard" in NY. If you think these will work, I would be happy to send you some.

Tom
Thanks for your generosity!

Already, a friend who had a GTE has three extra 10X90X1 that he is sending me. On the 330, the two rear bolts are 10X75, the two front ones 10X105. One of the rear bolts is under welding, so I better not
break that one. But if I break the other, the 90 he is sending may come in handy. I am waiting for the long bolts that I ordered to see if I can cut one and make it work.

Anyway, it appears that 205GTE's had 90's all the way round.

We finally got the driver's side spring off. Used a pulley puller. That got the spring off but left the inner cylinder behind. Some extra work removed the cylinder.

I always wondered why the rear spring lower shackles took so much grease. Now I know. There was only empty space between the inner and outer cylinders to fill --- a large empty space.

So I guess it was a good idea to fix the spring bushings. I wonder if that $275,000 car has a similar large empty space.
Lowell Brown
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Lowell, not following this large empty space. Why would there be an intentional space there, or are you referring to the void left as a result of the rubber pushing perishing? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

John Vardanian wrote:Hi Lowell, not following this large empty space. Why would there be an intentional space there, or are you referring to the void left as a result of the rubber pushing perishing? Thanks.

john
Not intentional at all. In my car, there was no remnant whatsoever of the the previous bushing that should have been there. In Tom's photo of Yale's spring, you could see what looked like little
ground up pieces of the previous bushing. In my car, there was nothing at all, just an empty space between the inner and outer cylinders --- except that it was full of grease because I had greased
the car recently.
Lowell Brown
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

I should have explained more.

The spring shackle has two bushings. A top bushing that is connected to the car frame and a lower bushing for the spring itself.

The top bushing is attached to a stud welded to the frame of the car. It was this bushing that we had so much trouble removing,
with the rubber separating from the inner cylinder. But this upper bushing was obviously intact.

When I spoke about an empty space, I was referring to the lower spring bushing --- a bushing that had completely evaporated over time.
Lowell Brown
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Lowell, yes I'd think that the "lower" rubber bushing evaporated over time, as opposed to not ever have existed.

I tend to think that the lower ones disintegrate due to exposure to grease.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Lowell wrote:I should have explained more.

The spring shackle has two bushings. A top bushing that is connected to the car frame and a lower bushing for the spring itself.

The top bushing is attached to a stud welded to the frame of the car. It was this bushing that we had so much trouble removing,
with the rubber separating from the inner cylinder. But this upper bushing was obviously intact.

When I spoke about an empty space, I was referring to the lower spring bushing --- a bushing that had completely evaporated over time.
The lower bushing is also made of a material that is not rubber like the top one. It's a crumbly waxy substance that wasn't very durable.

I grease the hell out of the bolt that secures the top bushing when I put it all back together so the next guy 50 years from now has an easy time taking it off.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053