New Bodge of the week?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

New Bodge of the week?

Post by tyang »

elongated slot
elongated slot
8793_5.jpg (107.74 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
I was working on a new 330 to our shop this week and found the adjustment slot on one of the distributors elongated. Did someone in the past not know when you run out of room to adjust the timing, the more adjustment can be found in the foot of the distributor, and also by re-indexing the angle drive? I think someone butchered a perfectly good distributor.
normal slot
normal slot
distributor11.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
Look how much more material there is at the edge of the slot. A shame.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
LinuxLotusJagNut

Re: New Bodge of the week?

Post by LinuxLotusJagNut »

Tom:
Can you explain a little more about what you mean exactly by "more adjustment can be found in the foot of the distributor" ?
--
Steve
carello

Post by carello »

Tom, this would be all three slots? on an S85A? Yikes!
tyang

Post by tyang »

LinuxLotusJagNut wrote:Tom:
Can you explain a little more about what you mean exactly by "more adjustment can be found in the foot of the distributor" ?
--
Steve
Hi Steve,

Let's say for example there is 10 degrees of adjustment when you turn the distributor when you loosen the nuts that holds it down. If you try to set timing, and you run out of adjustment because you can't turn the distributor anymore, the correct fix is to pull the right angle drive out of the back of the engine and re-index the splined drive my one tooth in the direction of adjustment. This is a long process of marking the parts, and unbolting some pieces. Whoever worked on this distributor must not have know how to do this, and simply elongated all three adjustment slots. I don't think they were taking a short cut, because cutting out all that material would have taken longer than reindexing the angle drive.

I hope this makes sense.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
LinuxLotusJagNut

Post by LinuxLotusJagNut »

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks

Do you know if there are there any photos available anywhere showing a disassembled view of one of these angle drive assemblies?
--
Steve