broken gear reduction starter on 330GTC

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

LinuxLotusJagNut

broken gear reduction starter on 330GTC

Post by LinuxLotusJagNut »

I ordered a gear reduction starter from ferraristarters.com for a 330 GTC we are working on and received it promptly in 2 - 3 days. After installing it, we were pleased with the way the engine spun over and immediately started right up. Unfortunately the next day after pulling the car around the building to wash it we went to start it after the wash job and were dismayed to only hear a whir from the starter but no movement from the engine. Upon disassembly we found part of the snout of the starter casing that locates the bendix was snapped off. This occurred after only perhaps 10 - 15 start events total and none of them to my knowledge were unusual or hard on the starter. Has anyone else here with the after-market gear reduction starter had this problem?

I am attaching some photos we snapped of the broken starter taken just after removing the part from the car.

BTW, this is the third one of these same gear reduction starters we have here since the original starters on the two 330 GT 2+2 cars were also not up to the job of spinning the V12 engine over. These other two seem to be operating fine so far.

After discovering this I was able to reach David from ferraristarters.com and he immediately sent out a replacement starter (which has not yet arrived) as well as a return shipping label for the defective part.
Attachments
Brokenstarter2_sm.jpg
Brokenstarter2_sm.jpg (107.37 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
Brokenstarter3_sm.jpg
Brokenstarter3_sm.jpg (228.7 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
250GT

Re: broken gear reduction starter on 330GTC

Post by 250GT »

I am a real fan of this upgrade for Ferrari V12 engines, I use them since 1999 on several cars .
I drive over 100K Km a year ,divided on several cars
Never ever had any problem.
but whats youre problem ?
They have lifelong guarantee.
The sevice of this company is outstanding.
They made for me for an 128B engine a separate fix plate for free.
the studs where on this block were not in one line ( offset) the 128F block studs are in line
Best

C.
Attachments
droppedImage_1.jpg
droppedImage_1.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
LinuxLotusJagNut

Post by LinuxLotusJagNut »

What's my problem? It BROKE! The car could not be started! Then I had to pull the headers off that side of the engine to get to the starter AGAIN. In my book that is a problem.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I can`t believe they are still using the photo of my starter (1969 365 GT 2+2) that they used to create the design for the Colombo V12s. My car is long gone, but the memories are still sweet. By the way, my old starter is the one called "Old, bulky, heavy and slow", all of which was (an is) true. Eat your hearts out. Because mine was the model, they charged me $100 for the new starter on the right, also mine.

Tom Kizer
S/N 12293
Quebec
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

I have one on my C4. Has worked well for years. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB