Lower rocker panel trim

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

cory

Lower rocker panel trim

Post by cory »

Hello All,
I replaced both rocker panels on a 330GT series 1. There is a lower trim piece, below the jacking holes, that runs the length of both rocker panels on the lower pinch weld. Mine were missing and I need to fabricate them. Would anybody have a pic to send along of these pieces? What was the finish? Any dimensions? How were they fastened to the car?
Thanks in advance!
Cory
Attachments
DSC_0650.JPG
DSC_0650.JPG (155.83 KiB) Viewed 12444 times
peterp

Re: Lower rocker panel trim

Post by peterp »

Cory,

I bought a NOS pair from ferrariparts.co.uk last year and they were somewhat reasonably priced at the time. Unfortunately they seem to be out of them now, at least according to their website (although I've found that their posted online inventory is not always accurate). The part number was 242-44-650-00 (which I think supersedes 242-44-650-07 or maybe vice versa) and I think the same trim applies to series 1 & 2 (https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/PagesExt ... earch.aspx). I took a couple of photos of the NOS trim and posted them on this thread : http://www.tomyang.net/cars/phpBB3/view ... f=2&t=3908 (last post on the 2nd page). That entire thread provides a lot of info about fabricating them.

Regards,
Peter
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
cory

Post by cory »

Thanks Peter! I'm on it.
Cory
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Hi Cory,

Interesting trim piece, but is it only fitted to the series 2 ? I haven't seen one on any of the series 1 4HL cars that I have looked at?
That doesn't mean its missing from those cars too. I'm curious as I dont have that part for my car and until I saw this thread, had never seen or considered it.
Regards
Darren
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Small things make perfection, but perfection is no small thing.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Darren C wrote:Hi Cory,

Interesting trim piece, but is it only fitted to the series 2 ? I haven't seen one on any of the series 1 4HL cars that I have looked at?
That doesn't mean its missing from those cars too. I'm curious as I dont have that part for my car and until I saw this thread, had never seen or considered it.
Regards
Darren
Should be on 4HL models too. Clearly shown in the PF body parts manual for the 4HL car. Not necessarily obvious that it is on a car, particularly if it is painted the body color rather than the original matte black.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
cory

Post by cory »

Darren,
I believe they are also fitted on the GTE's and 330 Americas. However there are some differences in the way they are attached and formed. The early ones are made with a slot in them and are attached to the pinch weld with a stud that has a square/rectangular head on it. The head of the stud slides into a channel on the back side of the trim piece. It in essence making the attachment invisable. On the 330's it appears the trim is attached with a self tapping screw directly thru the trim piece and the pinch weld, one at each end, from what I have seen. Tom may be able to chime in with what is on his 330 America and others. So far I have only been able to find (1) used, with a crease in the middle from a jack for only $300!! As soon as I can get some dimensions I feel I will be making them.
Cory
Attachments
DSC_0276.JPG
DSC_0276.JPG (44.85 KiB) Viewed 12292 times
peterp

Post by peterp »

Darren C wrote:Hi Cory,

Regards
Darren
I didn't know about this trim either until Al Pezzella (TY member) pointed out it was missing at a show. It looks a lot cleaner with the matte black trim in place -- the seam is hidden and the black trim kind of disappears. You don't really notice the trim, but the car looks better with it in place.
cory wrote:On the 330's it appears the trim is attached with a self tapping screw directly thru the trim piece and the pinch weld, one at each end, from what I have seen.
Cory, I think there are actually 4 screws on each side to hold the trim in place. From memory, the four screws are evenly spaced. I won't have access to the 330 for a couple of days, but I can measure the spacing next week if you like.
Peter P
cory

Post by cory »

When you get a chance that would be great. Thanks Pete!
tyang

Post by tyang »

Yes, the GTEs and 330s have hidden t-head bolts holding them to the pinch weld. The profile of the trim piece for the 2+2s seem to me rounded, but interestingly enough, the GTCs have a squared profile.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Thanks Guy's,

Just when I thought I was getting on top of my "Parts I need" list! :roll:

I thinks its item 11 here:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.a ... B=29795&S=

And in stock at £65.56 GBP each

No mention of fixings though?

Maybe a picture of the concealled type would be good....Tom?
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

If you expand the picture it does show 4 holes equally spaced, so you are quite correct Pete.
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
cory

Post by cory »

Thanks Darren. I have an email into to them to check there availability. $100 each. Unclear if they are NOS or used. Amazingly enough the site shows the bolts costing more than the trim!
peterp

Post by peterp »

I will be able to post pictures and dimensions tomorrow. These things are basically a long stick of metal, so they should be really easy to fabricate (especially after what you've been through Darren!).
Peter P
SLM

Post by SLM »

I would be curious of the length. I have 2 rocker trim pieces from a 250 parts lot I purchased along time ago. They were supposed to be for a GTE but are not correct. They must be for another Ferrari model. They measure 72.25".
Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
cory

Post by cory »

Steve do yours take the t bolt or are there holes in them.