365 2+2 transmission

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Bernard Fahimian

365 2+2 transmission

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

It is almost impossible for me to change from first to any other gear driving with the transmission oil cold. But when it is warmed up all gears work great with no syncro protest. Are the syncros weak or the oil is too thick and heavy? Bernard
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Bernard,

Let's see if other 365 owner's have the same problem, but I would feel that this could be normal. You're not the first one I've heard having this problem.

As long as the gears aren't grinding I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't force anything.

Have you tried first putting the transmission in 2nd and then trying 1st? Sometimes slowing the gears down inside the transmission will allow it to engage 1st easier. This is a technique often used with non-synchro first transmissions, and may help even though yous is a fully synchro-ed box.

Different gear oils may help. Synthetics may help. It's really based on trial and error.

One time when a 250 transmission was apart, and Francois was rebuilding it, he showed me the places that could be "worked" for smoother gear engagement. He told me that they used to do this with the race transmissions in the 60s so they would shift faster. This involves filing the gear profiles down ever so slightly and matching them with their corrosponding gears and shift forks. The man-hours are high, and really not worth it for a street driven trans.

I'm sure this method could help, but may be too costly. If it really agrivates you, I'd try another gear oil, being the cheapest route first. I'm going to give Swepco a try, but I've also heard good things about Redline.

Tom
Bernard Fahimian

365 GT 2+2 transmission

Post by Bernard Fahimian »

Thank you Tom, when my engine and transmission oils are cold i just double clutch ( up and down ) for the first few miles till everything is to normal operating temps. I like to hear what experience other 365 owners have had with their transmission when cold. Bernard
bill rose

Post by bill rose »

Hi . . . since my 365 is currently without engine and gearbox, I can't take a quick run to refresh my memory.

However, I always double clutch when warming up . . . and some times even skip 2nd gear, until fully warmed. I routinely double clutch when down shifting, even after it's up to temp. It has always shifted smoothly, without incident . . . but then I don't really "challenge" it.

I can say, though, that when absolutely cold, it shifts OK, and doesn't seem stiff. But, because I'm being so careful about warming it up, I don't know if what I call "not difficult to shift", IS what your talking about.

Next time I take her out, I'll take mental notes.

Bill
judge4re

Post by judge4re »

Although I have the GT4 version of the 365, here is what I found this weekend:

First gear engages at any temperature and I can pull out of the driveway with it. Getting into second with the box cold takes a slow shift and the clutch pedal to the floor. I can't yank the lever back into 2nd until the oil temp is on the second notch (took about 4 miles of driving in 75F heat). After its warmed up, I didn't have any problems (except for the punk with the turbo charged Neon try and drag race on the way home from dinner Saturday). Third-fifth were fine, so long as I didn't putter around town in them, otherwise I started getting popping from running rich.

As an aside, on the Saturday morning run with my better half, two Porsches caught up with me before the car was fully warmed up, so I let them by. Chasing after a 356C racer and a 356 speedster for 10 miles and both not able to loose me made the weekend. I keep forgeting that there are some neat cars hidden in garages in East Tennessee.

Regards,
Erik
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

Bernard, it sounds like you do not have the right gear oil in the box. The 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are just about gone on my 365, so I'm double clutching all the time anyway, but there isn't any stiffness per se when shifting. BTW, once the outside air temp. gets below about 60, it takes just about forever for my oil temp to get off the bottom peg - accordingly, the pressure stays higher longer than in the summer, so I try not to take it above about 3500rpm until things warm up - and that's a lot of miles. Still better than rupturing an oil filter, though.

Bryan