330GT 2+2 Grille

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Darren C

330GT 2+2 Grille

Post by Darren C »

Yesterday after work I started to look at the front grille again. The one I have is in very bad shape and has been painted several times silver and once black.

I spent a few days early this year paint stripping and carefully dismantling it.

After much sanding and cleaning it became apparent that the grille was really too far gone. Once apart you could see very deep corrosion in vane slots where one piece slotted into another. This is most probably due to capillary action where water is held in the tiny slot. With time this just eats away at the metal and on my grille it was almost all the way through and on the verge of basically falling apart.

Along with the slot corrosion there was some serious pitting.

This was all hidden under the paint but I suspected it wouldn’t be good news once it was stripped.
I took a few parts to a local anodiser, and even anodising would not hide the corrosion so unfortunately it’s no good. This is obviously an expense I can do without.
After much thought I have decided to make a complete new grille.
Now it would be quite easy to just cut one out with a hacksaw and file it to shape, but I had a better idea. If I get one Laser cut I could make several at once and use them to trade for parts I’m missing maybe?
So after a visit to a local laser cutting business I walked away very disappointed. They wanted an absolute fortune to “write” the program that plots the shapes. The laser cutting takes seconds but they wanted almost a months pay to write the program alone.
After much thought I contacted them again and asked how the plotting program for the laser is done. It is basically X & Y co-ordinates to put into a CAD drawing.
Providing the parts are measured accurately this is just monkey see monkey do repetition to input into a CAD file. Anyone could do it!
So I have decided to “plot” the 330 grille myself.
In this way I can hand over the data which should just mean I pay for just the sheet aluminium and a couple of minutes use of their laser cutter. Based upon a 2.4m x 1.2m Aluminium sheet I reckon I can make multiple grilles for about £15 each.
I also got a price from the Anodising company to silver anodise them upon completion, so all in all I plan to go into production.

So yesterday I started to draw up the plot and get all the dimensions required for the laser cutter. I used my school technical drawing skills to “develop” the curved section of the grill surround into a 2D drawing for rolling once cut. I could have simply flattened what parts I had, but to make the grille properly I need it in its curved form to bend the new parts accurately.
First I needed a sheet of paper large enough, so a neat trick is to call into your local DIY (hardware) store and go to the wallpaper section. They allow you to tear off “samples” of wall paper free of charge. I got a couple of metres (best to use non embossed and not pre-pasted). Next I needed somewhere to lay it out to draw up. Since I only have a tiny table at home the only place I could find was my kitchen floor. The Vinyl floor is ideal to lay paper on and draw! Albeit my kitchen is only 7’6” x 8’ with a free floor space 5’ x 4’6”. But there’s just enough space to do it, even if it is murder on your knees!
So after 3 hours last night and 4 hours tonight I have got about 1/3 of the way through plotting the parts.

330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Small things make perfection, but perfection is no small thing.
Yale

Re: 330GT 2+2 Grille

Post by Yale »

Darren you are something else! So pleased you made it over to this part of the world!

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Darren,

Been there, done that!
I got my pieces scanned to create teh CAD drawing:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari324.htm
Wait until you have to polish it all up. It took me all summer!
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari494.htm

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Thanks Tom,

Very interesting.

I'm curious to know why your grille has 4 horizontal pieces and mine has 3? (look at the slots in the short vertical parts)
Also my vertical pieces have square folded ends, yours are semi circular? Again mine has every other vertical vane with a folded end and the others no folded end at all, whereas yours looks to have all folded ends.
You wouldn't think there are so many differences.
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Darren,

Pininfarina obviously was looking for ways to simplify the process of assembling the grilles. Folding the ends over instead of screwing it all together as they did mine saved time. I believe they pop riveted grilles for the 275s.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Was your grille a Series I or II ? This maybe the answer to the 3 v 4 vertical sections in the grille.

Mine is a Series I, it was also pop riveted together, with only the central and very outside vanes screwed with slot headed self tappers into spring clips. Every other fixings were pop rivets.
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Looking at images on line it seems that the GTC had 4 horizontal vanes, and GT 2+2, both series I & II had 3. My guess then is that your grille was for a GTC Tom.
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
tyang

Post by tyang »

Darren C wrote:Looking at images on line it seems that the GTC had 4 horizontal vanes, and GT 2+2, both series I & II had 3. My guess then is that your grille was for a GTC Tom.
Hi Darren,

My car is a 330 America, which for all intents and purposes, is a 250GTE. It has a taller grille.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

My GTE, 4247 GT has the 4 slot vertical pieces, just like Tom Y's. I have never checked for screws vrs rivets on the earlier cars, but the layout looks the same.

2169 GT
2169 GT Grill.jpg
2169 GT Grill.jpg (164.85 KiB) Viewed 13746 times
Probably 2339 GT
Owners Manual.JPG
Owners Manual.JPG (65.64 KiB) Viewed 13746 times
Tom Y's car, 5053 GT
5053 GT Grill.jpg
5053 GT Grill.jpg (134.27 KiB) Viewed 13746 times
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Yale

Post by Yale »

Looking good Tom! By the way, your under grill is black where as Tom Y's is body color...and you are both Series 3 bodies so what gives?
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
tyang

Post by tyang »

Yale wrote:Looking good Tom! By the way, your under grill is black where as Tom Y's is body color...and you are both Series 3 bodies so what gives?
The picture is of 2169, a SI car. Their front noses are slightly different from SIII cars so the nose pan is a little larger.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

It seems to me that eMachineShop (http://www.emachineshop.com) might be a great application and fabricator for these grills, especially in quanties, since they are mostly flat pieces of aluminum sheet with precision profiles.

I`ve never had anything made by them but I`ve used their software to design patterns to make things myself. There are a few discussions on the site where emachineshop is discussed.

Just a thought.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Thanks Tom,
Not sure if we have one in the UK? Interesting. I am curious to know what they charge for machine time. I do worry about not being there to check and recheck as the parts are cut out. Not sure I could deal with the remoteness of this service. I'd bet if the part was wrong they'd have a clause that you still pay. That said its a good idea in principle, but I prefer to be hands on.

Tonight I have finished the drawings and plot of the parts, only 20 hours on my knees on the kitchen floor!

So next week I plan to source some aluminium sheet. I havent spent any money on the car for the last two weeks, so with next weeks salary I should just about be able to negotiate a sheet of aluminium. :)
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Those of you following the thread may want to know how I’m getting on with the CAD drawings for the grille. Well, all the vertical parts are drawn and the horizontals are in progress. It’s been a real learning curve with the monotony of imputing X & Y co-ordinates only to find some tiny error that crashes the whole thing. Anyhow, here’s a taste of my 3D model that I hope to use to make the most factory accurate laser cut replica 330 grille in the world!

3D CAD vane

Vane Tab detail

330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Here's a short update on CAD plotting progress....

I've been real ill recently and had emergency surgery which knocked me for six, 3 months recovery time has given me plenty of time to think, but no time unfortunately working on the car!

Any how, the CAD drawing is now complete and I reckon i can get 6 grille's out of an 8' x 4' sheet, so they'll work out around £14 GBP (about $20 USD) each.

330GT 2+2 4HL 6727