Vacuum Leak on my Daytona

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Vacuum Leak on my Daytona

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I've been struggling with a vacuum leak on my Euro '71 Daytona Spyder conversion. I just had Pierce straighten out (literally and figuratively) my carbs and he also inspected the intake plenums, which he reported to be straight. (I"ll recheck them tonight.)
Every intake port leaks at the juncture of the intake with the cylinder heads. If you spray brake cleaner in the joint, the engine revs up like crazy, so I know that the diagnosis is accurate. I had this issue on my coupe and solved it by putting in a fatter O-ring, but even the newer plumper O-rings can't seem to stop this vacuum leak. The O-rings are just held in place with grease, no RTV.

Any thoughts here? I've heard this is an uncommon problem and also that the intakes should only be lightly tightened, which I did to 20#, carefully and evenly with a torque wrench. As always, thanx for your advice. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Steve Meltzer

Re: Vacuum Leak on my Daytona

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I got a good look at the intake on the new "fat" (5mm) o-rings and then set the intake down on bare metal-to-metal: the visual difference, without any measuring, was dramatic. Then I put in some correct, thinner (3mm), o-rings and the intake set in place like it did with no o-rings. Maybe the problem was iatrogenic! I'll button her up with the thinner o-rings and we'll soon find out. If this works, thanx goes to Mike Pierce for his ideas. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Fingers crossed for you Steve!
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx Michael! i need all the help i can get. s
steve meltzer,