Heat exchangers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Suebian330

Heat exchangers

Post by Suebian330 »

Dear all,

beside transmission overhaul I turned to my disassembled heat exchangers of the heating system. Hard to get them off undamaged out of the rotten sheet metal surrounding box. I put my boxes back into proper condition. Before installing the heat exchangers I thought it is wise to do a leakage with 1.2 bar. Result: the net was mostly ok, but the left and right brass water boxes had over and over hair-line cracks even on straight surfaces. I soldered about 15 cracks at one heat exchanger only.
Now I really wonder what is the reason. Poor material. Any freezing water inside in the past? But brass is pretty soft so I do not expect so many cracks. Some of them only punctual at one spot like a drilled hole with 0,1mm. Others a crack of 5mm legnth. All at unmolested surfaces of disassembly.

Bid anybody face similar problems? Any explanations of the experts?

Dieter
[b]Suebian330

#8741 330 GT2+2[/b]
tyang

Re: Heat exchangers

Post by tyang »

Hello Dieter,

It's a real pain the the butt to get those heater cores out of the fender sections, so even though patching them was hard work, it's better to find out now than later!

Most of the repairs I've encountered are the kind where someone bypasses a heater core rather than pull it out to stop the leaks!

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Re: Heat exchangers

Post by 250GT »

Suebian330 wrote:Dear all,

beside transmission overhaul I turned to my disassembled heat exchangers of the heating system. Hard to get them off undamaged out of the rotten sheet metal surrounding box. I put my boxes back into proper condition. Before installing the heat exchangers I thought it is wise to do a leakage with 1.2 bar. Result: the net was mostly ok, but the left and right brass water boxes had over and over hair-line cracks even on straight surfaces. I soldered about 15 cracks at one heat exchanger only.
Now I really wonder what is the reason. Poor material. Any freezing water inside in the past? But brass is pretty soft so I do not expect so many cracks. Some of them only punctual at one spot like a drilled hole with 0,1mm. Others a crack of 5mm legnth. All at unmolested surfaces of disassembly.

Bid anybody face similar problems? Any explanations of the experts?

Dieter
hello Dieter,
could be caused by using an high pressure radiator cap.
I've seen caps with 1.4 and 1.7 bar caps to elevate the boiling point.
but mainly racing cars.
Thats one of the reasons I use Evans cooling fluid: no pressure in the system
and can be last in system forever.
it cost a bitt more but cooling issues are gone for ever.
in Europe only available here:

http://www.duxe.be/nl/classic-cool-180-5l-870.htm

the system should water free !
only 3% residue is allowed

C.